DV's Philosophy

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

DV's Philosophy

Postby DarkViruz on Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:51 pm

http://www3.sympatico.ca/darkvirus/Ideas.doc

4 pages worth of me talking about life the universe and well everything. After the first 2 pages I started to ramble so it might look a bit more messy and unorganised but i'll fix them up a bit better.

Am I insane? if you feel like reading 4 page worth you can decide.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Wynn on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:07 pm

Wow, you downplayed it so much that I have no desire to click on the link. Thanks for saving me some time.
Wynn

Postby Stix on Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:19 am

Um, DV. About time,

One second occurs every so often. One second is the same amount of time whether you're in Australia, Canada, Europe or Antarctica. One second is the same on Earth, Mars, Jupiter or on some other planet in another galaxy. Yes, it's true a second is derived from how long it takes Earth to circle the sun and from the Earth's spinning velocity. But one second is one second. *Anywhere.*

A certain place on Earth is designated a certain time zone where the time at that place is modified from Greenwich mean time. But one second is still the same and so while it's 12 AM PST in California and 3 AM EST on June 26th in New York, it's still 8 AM GMT and GMT has 24 hours just like the rest of the time zones. So, it's the same time, simply modified differently so sun rise and sun set doesn't seem odd while you travel.

Now, if you want something that is universal for the entire universe and repeats itself? Well, this is debatable, but supposedly the universe expands and contracts repetitiously. There is a big bang (beginning of expansion) and then a big crunch (when the universe contracts). When the universe contracts to a certain point, all the hydrogen molecules react for some reason and another big bang happens. However, it's hard to say if the time between each would be constant. And the theory that the universe expands and contracts constantly is debatable anyway.

I'll admit I didn't read beyond your thoughts on time. When writing seriously, please check your spelling and grammar if you want people to read it.
Stix

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:18 am

Oh, so that's where you got "Jabus".
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:34 am

So sue me I just finished writing 4 pages of it, I wasn't about to go back and read my ideas all over again. Besides practically the entire thing in word was underlined in green and red. But about time. yes 1 second does occure every so often, but the point I was getting at is if im one 17 or 18 or whatever on the 26th in Canada rather then the 27th on Australia then using earth time is pointless because it wouldn't be consistent if you lived elsewhere in the universe. Unless the entire world is thinking about using earth time on mars jupiter etc etc. Which is pointless because then 1 year on Earth is only about half a year on mars. Or years on mercury. So time needs to be reinvented. Oh yea and I finished spell checking it if it makes you any happier. I blame my typos on the world too, but I'm tired.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Wynn on Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:36 am

There is no evidence that the universe has ever or will ever collapse. In fact, it has been measured to be accelerating expansion.

1 second is not 1 second everywhere in the universe. Time is relative. The speed at which you are traveling affects how long 1 second is compared to everything else in the universe.

There is practically no universal constant. Even the speed of light has been altered.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:42 pm

I don't think man will ever colonize other planets, so time doesn't need to be reinvented.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:04 pm

Hah!

Planets will be colonialised, I would even go so far to say it will be within these 100 years.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:37 pm

Wynn wrote:There is no evidence that the universe has ever or will ever collapse. In fact, it has been measured to be accelerating expansion.

That's speculation. Anyone who says they have concrete evidence that there is an accelerating expansion is talking out of their ass. There's no possible way that they can tell it is accelerating or decelerating with the technology we have.

The reason many think it will collapse eventually is because of the Universal Law of Gravitation.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect ... ravity.gif

In order for the universe's accelerating to be increasing, it would have to break that law. And that is a solidly proven law.
Stix

Postby Stix on Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:42 pm

DV,

Whenever you're born can coincide with GMT, no matter what planet you're on. Considering that it's illogical for people to live on other planets, it won't be that big of a deal elsewhere. And there is still a coordinating Earth time (GMT, most likely) while on another planet.

The only reason we have to colonize another planet is if it has resources. And the only people living there will be those working to gather it. You could never supply enough oxygen to fully colonize a planet, I'm sorry. Biospheres don't work.
Stix

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:14 pm

But listen.

Australia 09:13 - Born ie Age 0 Sept 27th
Canada Time 19:13 - Born ie Age 0 Sept 26th (if i were in canada when i was born that would be the time)

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying but there is still a time gap. Officially on paper it will be 27th...but I've been officially ALIVE x ammount of years on the 26th not the 27th.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby MFalcon on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:03 am

Time is only an invention of man. If our planet were spinning faster.. our time would also be measured differently. As Wynn said, its relative.
MFalcon

Postby Monster on Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:18 am

DV's right, Stix. If we DID happen to colonize Mars, I doubt we'd go by GMT there. Days and nights are a totally different length there.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:34 am

Yes, there is a perceived "gap." But technically there is not. If it's 2AM in New York on June 27th, it's 11PM in California on June 26th. But the person in New York isn't warped into another dimension or some shit. When you're talking to a New Yorker over the phone, you're not hearing them 3 hours into the future. You're hearing them now. The "time difference" is simply a modification to coordinate general sunset and sunrise worldwide. If you were born on June 26th at 11PM in California, then you were born on June 27th at 2AM in New York.

As for Mars, I'm pretty sure they'd use GMT to coordinate take-off and landing between Earth and Mars. Though, the part of the colony that is American would create its own time system because, afterall, we still use the English system here while everyone else uses the metric system.
Stix

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:39 pm

If you were born on June 26th at 11PM in California, then you were born on June 27th at 2AM in New York.

which is my entire point....if i wanted to drink alcohol on my b day in say california...(but i was born in new york) wouldm it be legal or not? on documents id still be beneeth the age would i not?

dimensions...whoa...wtf
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Next

Return to General Discussion