I beat Transformers for PS2 yesterday

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

I beat Transformers for PS2 yesterday

Postby Monster on Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:53 am

It was a decent game, but the developers did so much wrong that I have a hard time looking back on the experience favorably.

I have to assume the devs don't have much experience, as there are some really bad annoyances in the game that any experienced developer should know not to do. The game uses ragdoll physics, which is usually cool, right? Unfortunately in this game it's usually used against the player. Any time your character gets hit with an explosive attack, he gets knocked down. And when he gets knocked down, he can't stand up until he comes to a complete stop. Since roughly 80% of the terrain in the game is hilly or mountainous, this means that every time you get knocked down it takes 5-10 seconds to get up again. And you get knocked down a LOT.

Speaking of hilly terrain, there are lots of slopes and cliffs everywhere where if you try to walk up them you'll slide down again. Not all slopes are obviously too steep to climb either. Also, most rivers are surrounded by tall cliffs or slopes that look possible to climb but aren't. You always have to find some sort of outlet to exit a river, which can take a while. And sometimes you'll be climbing a hill, hit a sliding slope, then get hurled off the hill and have to climb up again. I swear roughly 30% of the game was nothing but trying to climb slopes. Kill.

Boss battles last way too long and most of the bosses are just cheap. More on this later.

Regular enemies are pretty tough too. You can't just run in with guns blazing or you'll get your ass handed to you. This is counter-intuitive to the way you want to play this game. You ARE Optimus freaking Prime after all. Whoever decided that Transformers should basically be a stealth game?

There are a couple of levels where you have to climb up a lot of platforms, and when you get to the top you can mis-jump or get blown off and fall all the way down again. RARGH!

(Spoiler, kinda): The last boss (technically) has a super sky pile driver where he grabs you and jumps like 100 feet in the air. So you have to just sit and watch while he grabs you, jumps way in the air, then comes down. It probably takes 10 seconds or more. He also has another move where he grabs you by the foot and smashes you back and forth on the ground, then throws you. He also will kick you across the screen if he gets close to you when you're down. All this is made even worse by the fact that you're on a platform suspended over lava. So naturally you often get knocked into the lava, then have to make your way back up slippery slope rocks to get back to the platform, only to get knocked right back down again.

After fighting this bastard 4-5 times in a row I used cheat codes to beat him. I NEVER USE CHEAT CODES TO BEAT A GAME. That's how much this game pissed me off. I can't stand bad design.

The good news is that the gameplay is good overall... the whole point is to find and collect "Minicons", each of which give you a special power. That part was really fun. It was always exciting to find a new minicon, and each level (except for a couple) contains anywhere between 5-9 of them. My favorite two: one that lets you glide, and one that gives you a tractor beam that lets you pick up douchebags and throw them off cliffs.

The graphics are obviously good. The coolest part was fighting a (spoiler alert) battleship Transformer... after you just spent the whole level INSIDE him. That's right... you got to fight the level you were in. :) He was HUUUGE! The bad part is that the battle lasts a good five to ten minutes and I had to do it 4-5 times before I figured out the right combination of minicons.

Another good thing is the game is short. Usually I hold that against a game, but I really had no more desire to play the game after I beat it. The bad things really wore on me, and finding minicons and shooting robots gets old after a while. The fact that this game is short is actually a plus.

All in all it's worth playing, but I only rented it. No way would I recommend buying it.
Monster
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion