1337 h4x0rz!@

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

1337 h4x0rz!@

Postby Shoruk3n on Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:41 pm

Dunno if you guys saw this when it happened, but I think it's pretty damn incredible.

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,59034,00.html
Shoruk3n

Postby RGDelta on Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:17 pm

Yeah heard all about it when it happened it was funny hearing about some high level guild guards being moved to the newbie area and aggroing the newbies mean but funny.
RGDelta

Postby Stix on Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:48 am

Damn. I wish there was a video of the slaughter to watch.
Stix

Postby Wynn on Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:30 am

This was back on May 30th or so, it says. Pretty funny.

The population of an entire Shadowbane town was forcibly moved to the bottom of the sea, where they drowned. City guards turned feral and attacked town residents. Mobs of never-before-seen superpowerful creatures, seemingly spontaneously spawned from the ether, began to prowl the streets unchecked, killing characters in the most painful way possible.
Wynn

Postby Shoruk3n on Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:41 am

It's funny...to me, this is the kind of spontaneity a mmorpg needs to be interesting. I think this group of hackers needs a job working on whatever game I'll be playing next.
Shoruk3n

Postby Slavar on Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:52 am

that is awesome. talk about adding new life to the game...

can anyone find a video? that would be hilarious to watch.
Love Duke
Slavar

Postby Monster on Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:20 pm

Yeah no shit. They made the game fun for everyone. No one was harmed since they rolled it back. All games should do this kinda stuff.

Law enforcement? Screw prosecution, they should have made these guys full time content designers :). They should be thanking them for finding gaping security flaws and not actually doing any damage.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:09 pm

Yeah wouldn't that be cool? If once a month or once every few months, everything started acting completely randomly. You'd get flung around and slaughtered, and newbie animals would be chewing your feet off and bighuge monsters would be walking around town handing out quests, and you'd get random cash, anywhere from broke to infinite, and it would all get reset at the end of the day. Sort of like twilight zone meets groundhog day.
Wynn

Postby MFalcon on Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:19 am

THAT had to be an inside job. There is no fucking way a hacker could know how to manipulate the game code to begin spawning monsters, deleting items globally, and moving entire towns/cities around the globe.

Heres my thoughts on what probably happened:

First we have Bob who works as a Gamemaster for Wolfpack, however Bob has been informed that in 2 weeks.. hes being fired/layed off due to downsizing because Ted, his boss, wants to fuck the secretary more often and get a raise to boot. Bob gets a sheet of all the nifty shit he can do inside the game and then finds a good way to send this kind of information from a home computer at his house.

Obviously you can speculate on how he did it.. perhaps a backdoor program.. or perhaps thier firewalling security for thier servers just sucks major ass. Norton Security Suite doesn't cut it guys.

So anyhow, Bob goes home, phones a coupla friends, they come over, LAN up thier PCs, and suddenly.. pink-slip hell becomes Bob's new found heaven. And all those at the LAN party were gleefully laughing thier asses off for the rest of the evening.

I might want to add that the other reason this sounds like an inside job is because of the particular hatred shown to ONE town and the entire newbie populace. Newbies are forever paging GMs with stupid shit and filling up the help ques. For that one town.. I suppose he just didn't like whatever clan/guild owned it.. fuck em right?

Heh, lesson here folks.. fire the help.. and get fucked.
MFalcon

Postby Monster on Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:01 am

Everyone hates newbies though.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby MFalcon on Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:58 am

Well I still think Bob got pissed off at Ted.
MFalcon

Return to General Discussion