Knights of the Old Republic is so good.

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Knights of the Old Republic is so good.

Postby Monster on Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:20 am

I'll post a full review of it if you guys want me to... after I beat it. Until then I can't really do much other than play it!
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:24 am

Yah I gave this one a rent. It's like NWN meets The Force.
Shoruk3n

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:54 pm

Knights of the Old Republic is set 4,000 years before the Star Wars that most of us are familiar with. Damn, Yoda is old.

I find it interesting how static the technology seems in the SW universe. Jedi have supposedly been around for 20,000 years or more, and have changed little. Lightsaber design has been identical for Jedi living 15,000 years apart. Blasters have been around for thousands of years, and some of the older designs are still better than their newest counterparts. Hyperdrive technology wasn't even created by any of the races we've seen in SW, rather created by a long extinct race and discovered sometime later.

I dunno, just a thought.
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:48 pm

Yeah, some of that stuff is a little silly. I can understand Jedi not changing much over thousands of years, due to tradition, but the rest... I mean c'mon, the droids in this game are supposed to be predecessors to the "current" droids but the difference between them looks like it could have happened in 10 years, not 4,000. BTW, Yoda is not in KOTOR.

But if you think about it, lots of things in the Star Wars universe (including the movies) are totally unrealistic, so you have to take it in stride. For instance, any planet you go to has one culture, with one building design wherever you go. I don't know how much smaller these planets are supposed to be than Earth, but I find that pretty unrealistic.

The story in this game is fantastic. Something in this game happens that you really don't expect. It's a fairly original storyline. And there's LOTS of story if you choose to follow the plots introduced by your party members.

I wouldn't call this NWN meets The Force, I'd call it Baldur's Gate meets The Force. It's closer to Baldur's Gate than to NWN, because let's face it, the single player campaign in NWN was nowhere near as good as Baldur's Gate.

There are some neat continuity touches here and there too. For instance, Jawas didn't create the sandcrawlers...
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:29 pm

You must be much farther than I am. I just became a Padawan, complete with my brand new blue lightsaber. Yay!

As for the Yoda thing...I saw what looked like Yoda in the beginning cut scenes and assumed it to be him. It wasn't until about 10 minutes ago that I found out otherwise. Heh.

I never played BG2. So damnit, for me Kotor is NWN meets the Force!

Oh, and as for each planet having only one culture and type of architecture, keep in mind the size of the Star Wars universe (100's of galaxies) vs the size of our universe (earth). A planet in the Star Wars universe would be somewhat equivelent to a small nation or province.
Shoruk3n

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:39 pm

Oh and one more thing I realized after re-reading your post about the droids. Wasn't the Destroyer droid's shielding a big thing in Episode one? Because some droids 20,000 years before had shields too. Big funny looking combat driod that looked like the light on a dentists chair.
Shoruk3n

Return to General Discussion