Notice anything?

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Notice anything?

Postby Wynn on Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:38 pm

Notice anything about this?

Wynn

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:08 pm

The stairs are all transparent which is weird. The actual fronts of the buildings look like they might be textures... they look very flat, especially noticeable in the windows. Also, it looks like there was a line drawn right through the picture that caused everything touching it to not line up. So yeah, a really weird picture. What is it?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:12 pm

OK, so I checked the source of the image and it took me to a developer page. It looks like that's a screenshot from an Xbox 360 game. I still think it's weird that the stairs are transparent... and I guess that line must be a glitch.

http://www.bizarreonline.net/index.php? ... ts=1&id=32
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:47 am

You cheater! :) Yeah that's an in-game shot of PGR3 on Xbox 360.

I think it's a grate-style step, which you would be able to see through. I don't think it's wrong.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:21 am

I'll be more impressed when someone does that in a game like GTA or in an RPG. Racers always have cutting edge graphics.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:40 pm

Typically it's because they have prerendered backgrounds. And because reflective lighting is easy to do, so shiny cars look pretty. But yeah I agree withyou.. I'm waiting for near photo quality in some other genres.

By the way, the other screenshot they released previously looks nice too:
Wynn

Postby Wynn on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:42 pm

HOWEVER, I'm always skeptical of pre-released screenshots. I remember the Amped fiasco where they later admitted their pre-release screenshots were photoshopped and meant to be concepts of what it might look like. Ha ha.
Wynn

Postby Stix on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:15 pm

Yeah, I really don't know if these are undoctored. Though, a couple of the windows in the first shot you posted are "broken," so it's possible. But I wouldn't hold my breath until there's a finished product. I am rather intrigues, however, and would be impressed if this is indeed how it would look while playing the game.

Anyway, I don't think a lot of companies will resort to making all of their games look entirely photorealistic. I can only see it for games where a large protion of the intended audience demands it. The rest will simply take advantage of the technology a system offers to a point where it's not an excruciatingly long fine-tuning and texturing process.
Stix

Return to General Discussion