Pandora

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Pandora

Postby Hado on Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:34 pm

pandora.com

This thing is tight. You type in the name of the song or artist and it'll make a personalized station for you based on that sound.

You can type in "Prodigy" and get a library of old school electronica/rave or say "Smack My Bitch Up" and get songs that have a specific sound to it.

It's free but will be supported by ads in the future.
This is all I ever listen to now.
Hado

Postby Stix on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:14 pm

I'll give it a try later. I'm wary that if I pick something like The White Stripes they'll play too much modern rock and not enough blues and rockabilly.
Stix

Postby Hado on Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:53 am

You can tell it which type of songs you like/don't like and it'll keep track of it under your station. You can also edit your station to add in other musical styles.
Hado

Postby Monster on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:13 am

This is badass. I added the following suggestions to my station (so far):

The Aquabats
The Stray Cats
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Crossroads by Cream
Layla by Derek and the Dominos
The White Stripes
Jimi Hendrix
The Phenomenauts
Flogging Molly
The Dropkick Murphys
California Uber Alles by Dead Kennedys
Atmosphere
The Clash
Ray LaMontagne
Stevie Ray Vaughan

I tried adding "Felt" but they weren't in their database.

The first song it played was an Aquabats song. The second song it played was "Keep On Growing" by Derek and the Dominos, and stated it played it because it had similar qualities to The Aquabats, which I thought was weird. It doesn't sound anything like The Aquabats, but I did add a Derek and the Dominos song to my station... you would think it would have played that because of "Layla", not because of The Aquabats.

In any case, this is one of the coolest things I've seen in my life. It's amazing!! You can even skip a song at any time, so it's better than radio by that fact alone.
Monster
Site Admin

My stations so far

Postby Monster on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:33 pm

Here are the stations I've created so far:

Rockabilly Radio-All rockabilly, for the most part... still probably needs some weeding out.
Hard Awwwwn-Classic hard rock, with some modern throwback music thrown in. Everything from Cream to Black Sabbath to The Darkness.
Kingston Irie-Rocksteady, dub and classic early Jamaican ska.
Ska vs. Punk-Ska and real, classic punk, none of that pop-punk crap (if I can help it).
Cash Country-Johnny Cash and various other country artists from the 50's and 60's.
Monster Mix-Classic rock, ska, reggae, rockabilly, Sublime, indie rap, and everything else I could think to throw in.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:55 pm

I wasn't able to add Felt earlier because they are under a different name in the database. I made an indie hip hop station and they eventually came across, but were named "Murs & Slug", which are the names of the individual rappers.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:42 pm

You've got some pretty good ones monster, I'm enjoying your hard awwwn (tehehe).....and ska vs punk
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:16 am

Cool, glad you like them! If anyone wants me to post the indie hip hop station, just ask. It turned out really well. I just wish MC Frontalot was in their database.

I'm really impressed with how well this thing works... on my rockabilly station it played an Aerosmith song, but the song was actually a rockabilly song! It was a good one too.

Although I think all the stuff I added to "Monster Mix" may have confused it. I was listening to it last night and it was playing nothing but alternative (like, 90's alternative) and rap. Although it did play a group I really liked back around '93 or so (Sugar).
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:25 pm

This is pretty cool. I'm not a music buff.. I down own much at all. I have a really wide, cross-genre taste in music, but at the same time I'm very particular about which songs I like and dont like. I can whip up a playlists here to suit my mood, and it's going okay. I have to pare out a bunch of songs I don't like, but I expect it'll get better as I tweak it.

I fully expect in the future for them to add audio commercials between every 5th song or something like that. Still probably better than radio.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:34 pm

If that ever happens I'll gladly pay the 3 bucks a month they want for no ads.
Monster
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion