D&D Online stress test

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Postby DarkViruz on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:17 pm

I am doing a massive poor job promoting Dark and Light. But hey what can I say it currently has 1 quest in it. I've given up on DDO. I know I never played it but I haven't heard a good review from any of gamer fans. I know that doesn't say much, but still no PvP...why even?
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Hado on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:39 pm

It seems like Turbine's just trying to milk the license names.. Lord of the ring online or whatever it's called is coming from them too. DDO just looks like some meh single player game.. the entire game sounds like it's once instance after another..what huge copout. No crafting? Max lvl 10? Although the combat sounds pretty cool, there's no PVP. I might as well be playing a figher or something. Or better yet just get Oblivion when it's released.

What's the point of making it an MMO if there's so little player interaction anyway? Just to milk you for purchasing the box for 49.99-69.99 and then get you to pay a $15 monthly fee? You only get experience for solving quests.. even continuous combat against the same AI monsters all the time gets old. What do you do when you hit lvl 10? Do farming runs of the same quest to get a mace of smiting +3 instead of a +2?
Hado

Postby Monster on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:43 am

Ok, you've convinced me to avoid the game (most likely, unless I start to hear really good things). I didn't know the cap was level 10. That's ridiculous. What, are we playing 2nd edition elves? Sorry, obscure. Seriously though, the "level cap" in D&D 3rd edition is level 20, with what they call "epic levels" after that. By limiting you to level 10, they're obviously artificially limiting people just so they can release an expansion later that goes to level 20, then if it's still around after that, they'll release an "epic level" expansion.

Oh, and you can bet I'll be playing the crap out of Oblivion when it comes out. Can't wait!

DV, Dark and Light SOUNDS cool but it looks like crap and right now it doesn't even sound like it's a game, but an exploration simulator.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Hado on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:06 pm

I watched a video of that where a developer was demoing it to some E3 guy.

Didn't look like he had anything to show .. his whole focus was pretty much on how big the world was, and that you could ride dragons. Looked like a bunch of mountains and scenery with absolutely nothing in them. At one point he was like "in the winter that lake over there will freeze over and you can walk on it".. but he couldn't show that either. He was talking about how the seasons will affect spellcasting, but never actually cast a spell or fought anything. During the interview he was really grasping for stuff to talk about. I dunno..so far it looks like a huge empty game with fractally generated terrain.
Hado

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:48 am

Just out of curiosity, it being the biggest land mass wise game out there at the moment...

How is it that there are zero load times? I mean you click the button to start the game...cut scene, log in, and you are in game in roughly 3 seconds.

The only loading in game (which is also roughly 3 seconds) is when I'm teleporting from one area to the next. I mean..any game from this point on should be able to do this....i mean if the French can anyone should right?
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Probably because there's nothing to load but land mass and other players? Just a guess...

But I agree, some developers are really pathetic when it comes to load times. Even my favorite developer Bioware apparently can't make a game without "zones". And they're practically French (well, Canadian, not much difference ;)).

The Elder Scrolls series has always been good about having giant land masses without any loading. The only time there is loading is when you enter a building.
Monster
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion