Heroes of Might and Magic V open beta starts tomorrow

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Heroes of Might and Magic V open beta starts tomorrow

Postby Monster on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:58 am

Have any of you checked this game out? I loved the Heroes of Might and Magic series, and this one looks like a major upgrade. Open beta is supposed to start tomorrow. http://mightandmagic.com
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 am

So they delayed the beta at the last second (which would be today) so it's now supposed to start in a few days. When, exactly? They don't know. Anyway, it doesn't seem like there's much interest in the game here so I'll let you know how it is when I get in the beta.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:41 pm

Not much interest? It's one of the only games I've been looking forward to.
Stix

Postby Wynn on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:56 pm

Yeah but you dont count.
Wynn

Postby Stix on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:55 pm

Correct. I failed kindergarten.
Stix

Postby DarkViruz on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:01 pm

I failed kindersurprise.

It sounded better in my head.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:54 am

This thread failed kindergarten.

I'll look forward to playing you, Stix, if the game is good. I assume the beta includes multiplayer...
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:25 pm

The beta has started. However, unless you are a Gamespy subscriber you can't start util Thursday (way to be objective, guys... Gamespy reviews are trash anyway, but stuff like this proves they can't be trusted).
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:17 am

I don't have it yet, but the beta is apparently multiplayer only and uses Starforce, which I think is criminal. Starforce is a piece of trash that has to install, and does so without your permission. I can't believe people use this shit even for final commercial products, let alone demos and betas. Why the hell would you put copy protection on a demo or a beta???????
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:12 am

I'm getting sick of GameShit/BilePlanet.
Stix

Postby Monster on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:16 am

I hear ya. Though it sounds like tomorrow the beta will be available everywhere (we can hope, anyway).
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:56 am

I have yet to adequately play a game because the game ends when your opponent leaves, crashes or disconnects--and, apparently, a *lot* of people are having problems with crashes. If I could try a single player skirmish with computer opponents, I wouldn't be having this problem. Unfortunately, this is not allowed.

At the beginning stages of the game, there seems to be nothing new other than fancier graphics. I do hope I can get deeper into a game to see if there are more unit upgrades, spells, etc. than in the previous Heroes games. If there isn't, then I wouldn't bother buying the game. =\

My username on Ubi.net is fierystix.
Stix

Postby Monster on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:40 am

What time do you usually play? My user name is monnnster. I didn't get a chance to play the game yet, but I might tonight.

Here's what Tycho says about the beta: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/01/27

He says that "...getting all the way through a match practically requires an auspicious celestial event." Yikes.

I have no idea why they would release a poor beta, make it open, then lift the NDA. Usually, open betas are very close to the final product. There's even a petition to have the game delayed. Though when I entered my beta key it said it was good into April, so who knows when the game is really supposed to be released.

On a side note, nice avatar, Wynn! I have a screenshot from Geometry Wars as my desktop at work.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:21 am

Well, my WoW guild has scheduled raids on Fridays and Saturdays, so I probably won't be on until Sunday. But I might be busy with paperwork for a job I've taken. I should be on around 7 or 8 PM PST the rest of the coming week, though.
Stix

Postby Stix on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:22 am

As an update, I found the ability to test so limiting that I uninstalled the beta after several days. The constant crashing and disconnects of opponents (which would end the game immediately), and the obligation of staying and playing for hours, so you don't fuck over your opponent's desire to play and test the game, was too much.

Otherwise, I think the game is all right. They could do with fixing the crackly sounds (which, apparently, is a problem for everyone) and making it so your multiplayer games don't end when your opponent quits, crashes or disconnects, however.
Last edited by Stix on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stix

Next

Return to General Discussion