The IT Crowd (best show ever)

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

The IT Crowd (best show ever)

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:38 am

http://atariboy.wordpress.com/2006/02/0 ... episode-2/

You can download the episodes there. Aside form some bad use of the laugh track this is one of the funniest shows I've watched in recent memory.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby DarkViruz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:13 pm

Eventually one of you WILL vouch for this show. Dammit.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:55 am

I tried going there and didn't see any links for old episodes, just for the current one.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:28 pm

Yea, looks like the site isn't up atm.

http://3ternal.net/vids/ you can get the first 3 there....for now...
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:13 pm

Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:55 pm

Ok, so I got around to watching the first episode just now. It's a pretty funny show so far, not exactly a laugh riot but good enough to convince me to watch the others. By far not the best show I've seen for sure. In fact, I'd say that almost every British comedy I've ever seen is better, but it's still pretty good.

British shows that are better (that I can think of off the top of my head):
The Young Ones
Red Dwarf
Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Office
Black Adder
Mr. Bean

I like the Moss (or whatever his name is) character, but the other guy definitely overacts. I know overacting is common in such shows, but his overacting just seems unnatural to me.

Also, I AM a tech and I don't find it easy to relate to this show. It just seems off. Not sure why, though one example I can think of is that they were freaking out about their new boss not knowing anything about computers. It's not unusual for someone who doesn't know much about computers to manage an IT department. Management rarely needs to know what their employees do in order to manage, that's just the way it goes.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:48 am

It gets better. 4 and 6 are very good. I don't think the aim of the show is to highlight IT departments accurately, but to simply give the series some familiarity between each episode. And while the first show is too low-key for the overacting, the rest of the episodes have some things that are so over-the-top that Chris O'Dowd's overacting doesn't really matter. Hell, most of the Pythons overact in their sketches, but the type of comedy calls for it. It's the same thing here, in most of the episodes.

Anyway, in terms of British comedy, I have my favorites. There are too few episodes of this show for me to rank it anywhere, however. Anyway, my top British comedies:

5. Blackadder
4. Mr. Bean
3. Monty Python's Flying Circus
2. Are You Being Served?
1. Fawlty Towers (Only 12 episodes, but every single one is great.)
Stix

Postby Monster on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:28 am

Well I downloaded 2-5 last night. I picked up an Xbox 360 yesterday, now I just need to figure out how to stream them to it (it doesn't support DivX... DERP! Mah name is Microsawft). I might just end up watching it at work again anyway.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:26 am

Oh! I knew I was forgetting more great UK shows: The League of Gentlemen and Little Britain.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:23 am

The first six episodes were supposedly the entire "first series" of the show. Given the ending of the sixth episode, I suspect the creators thought the show would eventually be allowed to continue by Channel 4. This has turned out to be true; however, the "second series" is not slated for air until the beginning of 2007. So there will be a while to wait before you can see anymore episodes.
Stix

Return to General Discussion