RSS?

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

RSS?

Postby Wynn on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:35 pm

Does php nuke have the ability to publish RSS feeds? I dont know how rss works with sites that require authentication like signing onto the forums. But it'd be cool to see new posts with an rss reader or snap it onto my live.com homepage.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:29 am

True. I'll have to look into it.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:00 am

Ok, done. See the news post or check the bottom of the page.

BTW, is Live.com always going to load that slowly? You know, about 15 times slower than Google?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:10 pm

google is just a search page. search.msn.com loads instantly as well.
live.com is a fully customizable home page with plugable gadgets, rss reader, etc.

I haven't used live.com much at all yet, but I wanna mess around with it. I would like to hope that it loads faster as it progresses through beta, but then again it could just get worse as they add more stuff. *shrug*

I just connected the RSS feed for this forum. It's not as pretty as I wished, but I guess that's RSS for you.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:23 am

Actually, Google has had a customized home page just like that for a while now, and it loads much faster.

http://www.google.com/ig

You can add RSS feeds and stuff like that, it just doesn't have the "gadgets" feature as far as I can tell.

I checked out live.com again today and it did load faster, but it still feels a little cumbersome. Also, I tried to add a third-party "gadget" and it didn't even work.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:28 am

Some more impressions of live.com... the image search is awesome. Although is still loads slowly, etc, it's much nicer than Google Images. On the other hand, middle mouse button+click doesn't seem to work on links, which means I can't open pages in tabs, which makes the home page functionality next to worthless for me.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:03 pm

Yeah they relaunched live.com like last week I think, with new stuffs and optimizations to help it load faster. I am able to add 3rd party gadgets, although it was a little funky.. didnt seem to "save" the installed state of the gadget so I had to install again after I reloaded the page (worthless).

Opening links in a new tab works with IE7 beta. I'm pretty sure this uses nonstandard controls, similar to the new hotmail beta. It uses AJAX or something like that for a much richer browser experience (the hotmail beta is pretty awesome). It probably just doesnt jive as nice with firefox, which I assume you are using.
Wynn

Return to General Discussion