LoTR Online beta setup started today

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

LoTR Online beta setup started today

Postby Monster on Mon May 15, 2006 9:18 pm

Monster
Site Admin

Postby -Xanath- on Mon May 15, 2006 9:42 pm

Is there PvP in LOTRO?
While there is some (but very little) precedent for PvP in the lore, it doesn't fit into Tolkien's world in the usual way that PvP fits into MMORPG's. In light of this, the design team is looking at PvP alternatives that will satisfy those who enjoy competitive play, while preventing scenarios such as Elves "ganking" Hobbits in the Shire.

Signed up to see where that goes, if I get in.
-Xanath-

Postby Hado on Mon May 15, 2006 9:58 pm

Spider sense tingling with this one.. let us know how it goes!
Hado

Postby -Xanath- on Tue May 16, 2006 12:50 pm

Honestly, I don't have much interest in a LotR game - enjoyed the hell out of the movies, but a game will never be able to mimic that in any respectable, true to life fashion (imo). I've heard nothing but disappointment over the BFME RTS series. My interests in the MMO are piqued moreso by the developer than anything - Turbine, when they crapped out AC1, had an unforgiving, violent, and downright skill-based PvP system. You could actually dodge arrows and spells, melee were able to charge - innately, not as an ability - in order to close the gap to a target, lag was just about non-existent, and there was NO PENALTY for attacking someone of a significantly higher level (albeit you were unlikely to inflict any major damage because of their gear outclassing yours in a major way). If there's even the slightest semblance of that here, could make for an amazing experience provided there's a pure PvP server.
-Xanath-

Postby Hado on Wed May 17, 2006 12:48 am

This is an entirely different team. Most of the guys responsible for the original AC back in 98/99 are looooong gone.

I dunno, the jaded gamer in me smells the stench of another quick movie licensing cash-in. I mean, is there even any indication otherwise? Their entire feature list (all 3 points) is focused on the setting alone. Play as one of the iconic races of Middle-Earth! Join the fellowship of the ring and fight Sauron! Meet Gandalf!
Hado

Postby -Xanath- on Wed May 17, 2006 1:03 am

That's my concern precisely, but I'm hoping somewhere, somehow, they'll get in touch with their roots a little bit. Even their FAQ is colored heavily by the movies - at the same time, provided the game isn't even in beta yet, do they even really have a ton of features to show off? Have they settled firmly on their directions and the rules therein? Although you'd expect that to a certain degree, I'm hoping they're maybe just "holding out" on us. So far as I'm concerned, the next big MMO is going to be Warhammer (provided it's as much of a pre-Atlantis DAoC as I'm hoping for) - I'm not adverse to giving something else a shot though, LotR should offer a lot of flexibility depending on how they use that.
-Xanath-

Postby Monster on Wed May 17, 2006 9:47 am

Middle Earth MMORPG's have been in development a LONG time. I remember the promise of a Middle Earth MMORPG back when I was still playing UO. Remember? They promised permanent death and free-for-all PVP, but whenever you were "killed" you were knocked out unless someone did a death blow. They promised generations instead of controlling just one character. Your character would age and you would continue playing as their offspring. The project was in development a long time but then killed off. Since I've been waiting so long for an MMORPG set in Middle Earth, of course I have to give this a try. I'm not expecting much though.
Monster
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion