Tempted to buy a 360. Thoughts?

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

LOL!11! POLL!

DO EET!
60%
BUY A BLOW-UP SHEEP INSTEAD!
40%

Total votes : 5

Tempted to buy a 360. Thoughts?

Postby -Xanath- on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:22 pm

So, a local store has the uppermost version of the 360 on sale for $300. I'm tempted to bite down. Heard nothing but good things about Xbox Live, and compared with the PS3, 360 seems extremely technologically comparable in spite of the price difference. Seems to have a good selection of games, too. Seeing as I haven't dealt with consoles in years and years, I figured you guys would be the ones to ask - looking back or based on your own perspectives, do you think 360 is the way to go? Seems games are migrating more and more away from PCs, any more.

... for a more awkward part of the equation, are there any "simple" multiplayer games for the 360, or is everything going to be incredibly technical and in-depth? My mother died this past Friday (as most of you know, she was struggling with cancer for years) - my father is having a difficult time. I was thinking of spending my Christmas money on the 360 so that he and I would have something to do and enjoy, it's just that, well, his favorite game of all time is MarioKart for the N64 - does the 360 have any games like that, games that people can just jump into without much of a learning curve but can still be fun?

Thanks,
Ken
-Xanath-

Postby DarkViruz on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 pm

I voted for "BUY A BLOW-UP WIIP INSTEAD!"
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Hado on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:49 am

If you're looking for something to play with your dad, the Wii seems like the better choice.

Wii Boxing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S6DmkSbaAxY

Baseball:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECOKRgirhuk& ... ed&search=

For online multiplayer though, the 360 is where it's at. Except for MMO's, PC gaming is basically dead. =/
Hado

Postby Hado on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:55 am

For the 360, Project Gotham Racing has a huge following. I hear people talking about the online multiplayer all the time. It has split screen support too.

I don't think there's any well made cartoonish racing games for the Xbox though, at least not comparable to Mario Kart.
Hado

Postby -Xanath- on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:42 am

Therein lies my dilemma - I want something we'll both be able to play, but he'll be playing not even a fraction of the time that I do and I want something I'll be able to have fun with (and/or be challenged by) too. I just don't see that on Wii (except for maybe Zelda - always had fun with that series, call me a kid if you want).
-Xanath-

Postby Monster on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:53 am

For the Xbox/Xbox 360, you have:

• Marvel Ultimate Alliance (which is on all systems anyway)
  • Lego Star Wars II (again, all systems)
  • Small Arms (XBLA)
  • Burger King: Big Bumpin' ($3.99 at BK... there's also a simple BK racing game but it's not supposed to be very good.)
  • Fight Night Round 3 (Photorealistic boxing game, easy to jump into)
  • Halo 2 (My dad rarely ever plays video games but he was able to play co-op with me on Halo 1 without much trouble)

Let's face it, the Wii would be a better choice to play with your dad, especially since it is backwards compatible with Gamecube, meaning you could play Mario Kart: Double Dash and lots of other titles. The Xbox 360 doesn't have tons of games yet, especially ones that are light, though XBLA has a few (though not necessarily co-op). The Xbox has lot of titles though, and the 360 can play those. But if you're buying it primarily for yourself, it probably wouldn't make much sense to buy a Wii. Maybe you can rent one for a while.

Sorry to hear about your mom.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:59 am

-Xanath- wrote:Therein lies my dilemma - I want something we'll both be able to play, but he'll be playing not even a fraction of the time that I do and I want something I'll be able to have fun with (and/or be challenged by) too. I just don't see that on Wii (except for maybe Zelda - always had fun with that series, call me a kid if you want).
It's a party system to be honest. If you can get together 4 friends (who have wiimotes) Wii will be the better choice...if you're looking at single play with online capability well then 360 is probably the better choice. Though I think it depends on how comfortable your dad is at gaming. Wii is more simply to grasp than say a 360 controller, and with the right game you can be working on your triceps quite abit

I have no idea where I'm going with this so let me just finish with

Hado wtf, there are good mmorpg's left on PC? I don't think so.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby -Xanath- on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:05 pm

I'm assuming Halo 2 has co-op as well, or just Halo 1? Are co-op games more common or more of a rarity?
-Xanath-

Postby Monster on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:51 pm

Yeah, Halo 2 has co-op. I don't think co-op games are real common.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Get an Xbox 360. It's a better investment.

Forget about the PS3. It's a joke right now. Maybe after the price drops and they come out with some killer games.

As for the Wii...
http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:43 pm

Wynn wrote:As for the Wii...
http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/
Isn't this website a positive point for Wii?

It's Wiiding out the retards in the human population...Oh I see why you don't want Xanath to get it.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby -Xanath- on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:12 pm

DarkViruz wrote:It's Wiiding out the retards in the human population...Oh I see why you don't want Xanath to get it.

So speaketh teh slapnuts? :shock:
-Xanath-

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:31 pm

-Xanath- wrote:
DarkViruz wrote:It's Wiiding out the retards in the human population...Oh I see why you don't want Xanath to get it.

So speaketh teh slapnuts? :shock:
My experience and knowledge of this area surpasses none.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Wynn on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:46 am

I just thought it was funny how many people broke their TV by launching the Wii controller across the room. I haven't played with a Wii but I've heard it is a lot of fun, even if it is a little dangerous.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:46 pm

They actually secretly replaced the cords on new Wiis. They're much stronger now.
Monster
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion