New House

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

New House

Postby Wynn on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:03 pm

Last month I started house hunting. April 1st I made an offer on a house and got it accepted. Over the past few weeks, I've been taking care of all the paperwork and inspections and other random nonsense. I get to start moving in this weekend!

More importantly, I can start decking out the place with new furniture and gaming gear. Given the upcoming Halo 3 beta and reliase, my first priority is going to be the living room. I already ordered a bitchin new 56" TV. This has it all (almost)... DLP LCD rear projection, 1080p, HDMI, VGA input. It's especially nice that this large screen is only 13" deep and weighs a mere 90 lbs.

I'll post photos when the deal is done.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:08 pm

Congratulations! Though I think you meant "DLP LED", as DLP and LCD are different technologies. It looks like your TV uses LED, which means the bulbs should last much longer, which is really nice. I didn't even know those existed.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:30 pm

I meant what I said, but I guess you're right. I was thinking DLP was a specialized form of LCD rear projection. Samsung created the first LED-based DLP last year, which is the model I ordered. They are coming out with new models of various sizes now that are LED-based. I got last year's simply because it's much cheaper to do so. Other manufacturers are shipping LED sets this year as well.

Th downside, according to what I've read, is that LED is not as bright as a traditional bulb and might not work as well in a bright room, and the contrast isn't as high (black might not be so black). On the plus side, it lasts forever and the color accuracy is near perfect.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:38 am

That's about what I expected. I didn't think it would be as bright. Not having to spend hundreds on new bulbs down the line is a nice bonus.
Monster
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion