Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Postby Monster on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:47 pm

I got in the beta for this and it really kicks ass. It's got "classes" like many shooters these days but you can create your own classes as well. The classes are pretty much just the kind of gun you spawn with, so you can be a sniper, heavy machine gunner, assault rifle user, etc.
No "engineers" or stuff like that.

The game has "levels", which you gain quicker by doing well in matches. The more levels you get, the more stuff you unlock. There are also "challenges", such as getting 75 head shots with a sniper rifle, that unlock other things as well, like gun attachments or camouflage patterns for the gun. There are also "perks" that you earn that do things like making your bullets do more damage, or make it so after you lose all your health you lay down on the ground and get one last chance to kill someone with your pistol.

My favorite custom class right now is an M4 with scope, a smoke and frag grenade, perks that allow me to do more damage and penatrate walls easier, and an RPG. You could even carry a sniper rifle and an RPG if you wanted. You only get one of each grenade unless you have certain perks, so grenades aren't spammed too bad in the beta. Also, you can always pick up any gun you want since guns drop when you die. You can even pick up a gun that's better than yours (because the carrier was higher level, for instance).

Another thing that's cool is that you get rewarded for getting multiple kills without dying. At 3 you get radar, at 5 you get to do an airstrike anywhere on the map, and at 7 you get a helicopter that automatically flies around shooting enemies.

It's great. It's like old school and new school mixed together for the perfect balance.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby -Xanath- on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:59 pm

A helicopter that flies around shooting enemies? That's either really ridiculous or really amazing, heh. How're the weapon physics, i.e. shooting through small objects/difficulty of aiming/recoil/etc.?
-Xanath-

Postby Monster on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:43 pm

The weapon physics are great, pretty easy to control and aim, and you can shoot through walls. I've had many kills that way, though it's probably due to choosing the perk that gives more wall penetration. Also, you pretty much need to aim down the sight unless you're point blank. You can unlock different scopes and red dot sights for weapons, which replace the traditional sights and are much easier to use.

The chopper is pretty annoying when someone else gets it but it's free kills once you earn it, and it reveals enemies on your radar.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:46 am

Well, after extensive weapon testing, I've decided that my favorite guns are the RPD light machine gun and the shotgun. The RPD is great with the penetration perk, because I often kill people trying to hide behind walls, and it's a good long range AND short range weapon (fired from the hip works well in close quarters). Also, I usually die before I have to reload it, which is a big plus (especially since it takes probably 15 seconds to reload the RPD).

Playing with the shotgun is invigorating because you have to sprint everywhere and move cover to cover. I feel like a ninja when I'm using the shotgun. I usually kill in one hit with it, but only if the target is about 10 feet away or less. At range it's useless. On the level where snipers usually rule, I completely obliterated with the shotgun.

Also, the M16 is superior to the M4, and it's the assault rifle you start out with. It only does burst fire instead of auto but it's much more powerful.

Also, pretty much everyone uses flash grenades because they make your target unable to see or hear. The effect is really realistic (at least I think it is). You can get a perk which allows you to carry 3 flash or stun grenades instead of only 1.
Monster
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion