XBLA games

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Re: XBLA games

Postby Monster on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Have you tried Bionic Commando: Reloaded? I highly suggest you give it a try. It was one of my favorite games as a kid and this "remake" is really good (it's actually much better than just a remake).
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Go! Go! Break Steady: This is a simplistic combination rhythm and match three game. The ghetto break dancing styles don't affect anything, and kind of detract from the experience. The rhythm aspect is hitting buttons or combinations of buttons in time with the music. After about a 10-button sequence, it switches to the match 3 "puzzle", where you insert colored circles into an arc. Get 3 in a row, and they disappear and the arc collapses, possibly causing chain reactions. The puzzles are very simplistic, and the rhythm is pretty uninspired. On the plus side, there are achievements for playing the 30 challenge levels perfectly, there's online coop, and it is actually more fun than the reviews imply. That said, it's not worth your $10.

Age of Booty: Yarr, Matey! This pirate-themed strategy game is played on a map of hexagon spaces. The gameplay is relatively simple, but the strategy is deeper than you'd think. You control 1 ship, sometimes with AI ships on your team. The goal is to capture towns by sailing up next to them and letting your cannons shoot it. Controls are almost boringly simply.. you just click to sail to a location and wait while your guns auto target stuff and try to sink them. You collect resources in order to upgrade your town defenses and upgrade your ship's speed, armor, or cannons. There are random powerups dropped by the neutral merchant ships that let you steal resources, drop bombs anywhere on the board, teleport enemy ships to a random location, and so on. Single player consists of 21 scenarios, varying from easy to hard, and feels pretty short. Multiplayer is apparently where all the fun's at. You can play online 1v1, 2v2 or 4v4 matches. It also includes a level editor, so you can create your own scenarios or maps. Definitely check this out, as I thought it was pretty fun. It's also available for PS3 and PC.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:02 am

So are you going to try Castle Crashers next?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Oh yeah, I did try it.

Castle Crashers: Awesome action RPG. A little short, but fun. Local or online coop for up to 4 players.
Wynn

Postby Wynn on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:53 pm

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai: Awesome 2D scroller. Artistic, bloody, and really challenging even on Easy difficulty. You use various bladed weapons and firearms to fight other ninjas, robots, and brutes though 50 arcade levels and 20? story mode levels. There are lots of combos to learn, and you get more as you upgrade your weapons. Check out the demo!
Wynn

Postby Monster on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:23 am

I played the demo. It's stylish, and pretty fun, but not enough to warrant a purchase for me. I'd probably end up getting bored with it after a couple of hours.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Shadow Complex: This game is excellent! Similar to the Metroid games, it's a side-scrolling jumper/shooter with lots of weapons and explosions. You start off as a simple dude with a flashlight, and as you play through the game you aquire equipment and weapons that give you super powers like super speed and invisibility. Weapons include pistols, machine guns, grenades, and missiles. This is a full featured game with FMV cut scenes, good voice acting, and wicked fun gameplay. This is well worth your $15. Single player only.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 pm

I heard this is a great game. I'll give it a try soon if I remember.
Monster
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion