GTA IV - which platform for you?

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Postby Wynn on Fri May 02, 2008 6:41 pm

I agree with you. I find that I constantly hold the right joystick slightly to adjust the camera angle. I wish it would remember my preference.
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Fri May 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Can you both just confirm, for the sake of my sanity, that this game isn't 10/10 and ign and gamespot are both retarded.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Shoruk3n on Fri May 02, 2008 9:13 pm

HAY GUYS GUASS WAT?? PS3 HAZ LODING ISUSS!!

This is neat. One out of every 5 loading attempts is successful. I'm happy right now!
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Sat May 03, 2008 10:21 am

I'm warming up to the driving finally. It takes some getting used to. You have to drive more realistically, which makes car chases harder because they seem to drive better than you at high speeds.

And it's not just IGN and Gamespot giving it 10/10, it's pretty much everyone. It's currently the highest rated game of all time.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu May 15, 2008 6:39 pm

So, after accruing 21 hours of gameplay on my save, I decided to sprint to the end to earn the achievement for finishing the missions in 30 hours. In order to do this, I skipped all the cut scenes, and always took a taxi to waypoints (skipping the taxi ride).

This is a terrible achievement, because I think it actually ruined my enjoyment of the game. Skipping cutscenes turned out to be unnecessary, but the time crunch made me feel like it was better to do so. I ended up missing out on one of the best parts of the game! Ah well. I might go through it again.

If you want this achievement, I'd suggest using the taxi trick. Also, if you ever fail a mission, just reload the previous save. Lastly, postpone all the optional stuff until after you complete the missions. It still kinda sucks, because I'd rather have the freedom to hop around to different optional things as I go through and discover them. This achivement kind of locks you into playing a certain way, and I found it to be dissatisfying.
Wynn

Re: GTA IV - which platform for you?

Postby Wynn on Tue May 27, 2008 10:22 am

I did all the menial tasks to get up to 100% game completion. One cool thing is that there are maps within the game that show the locations of all hidden objects. After you finish the missions, you get a spam email with a link to a website. If you visit that site at Twat.. I mean TW@, you can see maps showing pigeons, random characters, stunt jumps, and cars. The only way I'd ever hunt down all these locations is with a map/walkthrough, so it's nice that they acknowledge this. I ended up using higher res maps found on the real Internet, but it felt less like cheating this way. :)
Wynn

Postby Monster on Tue May 27, 2008 2:59 pm

I must have missed your previous post about skipping cutscenes, etc. That achievement is bullshit. The game is designed to be played leisurely, then they put in an achievement like that. As soon as I saw that one I was like "well, I'm never getting that achievement". I can't believe you skipped the story in a GTA game for a stupid achievement (especially since you didn't need to!). You really missed out (not that the story's plot is that amazing, but the scenes and voice acting are amusing). I wouldn't go for that achievement outside a second play-through, even not skipping cut scenes. You probably missed out on all the stand up comedy and "burlesque" acts too, which were also good.

I already knew about that website because I saw a list of URLs before I ever got to TW@. That was one of the first ones I checked, but it's pointless because you can't refer to it outside of a computer. It might be useful if the maps changed whenever you find something (like if jumps you completed disappeared off the map), but they don't as far as I can tell.

So since you killed all the flying rats, what do you unlock for all that work besides an achievement?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Tue May 27, 2008 3:29 pm

I think it makes the hellicopter at the airport an Annihilator. I did it for the achievement, though. You can call me crazy, but I like collecting them. It's like a badge of honor (or dishonor as the case may be).

If the dots vanished as you find each one, then the in-game map would be immensely useful. It'd also be useful if you could browse the internet on your phone. I can in real life, so after building up 1.2 million dollars in game, I would think I could afford a smartphone.

Anyway, yeah you can get the 30 hour achievement without skipping any cut scenes. You just have to reload the last save when you fail, and try to take taxi cabs whenever possible. Obviously you skip the taxi ride. After the game is over, you still need to do every available activity with 3 of your friends. That includes going to shows. I did watch the shows before and after my sprint.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Tue May 27, 2008 4:35 pm

I think it makes the hellicopter at the airport an Annihilator.

Eh, whoop-de-doo. I've only seen the military helicopter at the airport once, every other time the three helipads were empty. Does it actually make the Annihilator spawn every once in a while?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed May 28, 2008 10:46 am

Gamefaqs says collecting the pigeons unlocks the Annihilator. I'm not sure what that means, exactly. I do know that the last two times I went to the airport, it had an Annihilator sitting there. The airport is a good place to get the car flip achievement.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 pm

Yeah, that's where I went for that achievement. Used the ultra-flippable Lamborghini clone for it.
Monster
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion