GTA IV - which platform for you?

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

GTA IV - which platform for you?

Postby Wynn on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:04 pm

For which platform are you planning to get GTA4?

For me, definitely the Xbox 360. The primary reason being that my desktop/gaming PC no longer boots up.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:54 am

The 360, duh! Even though I'll probably be getting a PS3 in June, I wouldn't get GTA4 on it for various reasons. And getting it on the PC means I'd have to wait many months for it (wouldn't do it either anyway).

So are you actually going to play it online?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm

I'll download it for pc at some point.

Followed by posting here about how shitty this gta is compared to GTA 1 and 2.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:54 pm

Well, so far I've seen 3 printed reviews. The scores are 100, 98, and 100. The 98 was the highest rating that magazine ever gave. One of the 100s is from IGN, who last gave a 100 to Soul Calibur for Dreamcast (which deserved it, IMO). The UK magazine that gave it a 98 basically said it is probably the best game ever made. I didn't read through the whole IGN review, just the last couple of pages to read about multiplayer, and they spoke highly of it.

I don't know what Nintendo was thinking, releasing Mario Kart so close to GTA IV. I know it caters to different audiences (in some ways), but c'mon. Why would I bother buying a cute little one-trick racing game where I can do the same thing, online, with voice chat, and have rocket launchers instead of turtle shells? Bad move.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:30 pm

PS3 for me, since I don't have an xbox. No other PS3 buyers hereI'm guessing?
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:41 am

Well, thats answers that question. I've had a friend request pending for months to a "Shoruk3n" on Xbox Live. Guess I'll cancel that now. :)

I'll be getting a PS3 in June, when the $500 bundle is released that comes with MGS4.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:47 am

Any fun GTA moments so far?

I had just finished going bowling with Roman, and we were walking back to the car. I decided to look around on the boardwalk near there, and I saw some molotov cocktails sitting on the ground. I walked over it and picked it up, and it instantly made me wield it. I didn't really know how it worked, so I tapped the trigger. That just made me drop one at my feet as I was walking. No worries, though, I was uninjured. However, Roman was walking right behind me and the poor bastard went up in flames. The cops instantly showed up and started yelling at me, so I threw one at their cop car. Yes, good times.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Do yourself a favor and hit something at high speed on a motorcycle. You won't be disappointed.

I saw a guy walking and sipping on a drink. I hit him, which made him drop the drink. I was hoping I could drink it to regain health, but either you can't or I don't know which button to use. In any case, I discovered I could throw the drink at people, and it actually does damage! Fun times. I wish you could get bowling balls from the bowling alley and go all Daniel Plainview on people.

My first UZI came from beating up people in the hospital. One of them pulled an UZI. It's mine now!
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:01 pm

There's one thing I really have to complain about... the driving. I'm an old pro at driving in the GTA series, and I always liked the way vehicles handled in it more than any other game (besides Halo). The driving has completely changed this time around. It's really hard to take a corner at high speeds in most of the cars in the game now. Some cars handle so bad that it's like they weigh 5 tons and are sliding on ice (Roman's car, for example). I don't know why they changed the driving so much, but it's really hard for me to get used to it.

Even a quick tap on the handbrake makes many cars spin like crazy. Using the brakes is not good enough either because for some reason they decided that you can't turn when applying the brakes (at least it seems like that, anyway). It's either too much or too little depending on what you do. The only middling option is to just slow down by taking your finger off the trigger, but power slides are much more fun and have always been the way to take corners in previous GTAs.

Overall, cars just seem much heavier and unwieldy. I understand that they wanted each car to have a unique feel, but it makes driving a lot harder and, so far, not as fun.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 am

Driving doesn't feel that great to me either. I find I have to break approaching the turn, and then accellerate when I hit the turn. Otherwise I just slide off the road.

I haven't been in any other vehicles yet, but I can't wait to try wheelies on a motorcycle, or jumping out of a helicopter.

By the way, I think I read that Hangman's NOOSE is a co-op multiplayer level. If you want to give it a try, let me know. :)
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu May 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Of course I want to try it! There's more than one co-op gametype too. I'll be on tonight, as usual.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu May 01, 2008 2:05 pm

Cool. I'll be on tonight after work, so we can give it a try.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu May 01, 2008 2:27 pm

Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Fri May 02, 2008 1:32 pm

Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Fri May 02, 2008 1:42 pm

Actually I like the driving physics in GTA4 quite a bit more than the previous games, it's more like a sim, and not quite so arcade-ish. Ya it was fun to blast around corners like speed racer, but I'd rather learn how to control the car and get some finesse going. I've managed some pretty good power slides with just about all the cars, and I like how it feels like I'm on the edge of losing control almost all the time.

If I was going to complain about something though, it would be the camera angle behind the car. I have a hard time seeing far enough ahead of me.
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Next

Return to General Discussion