Dungeons and Dragons Online

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Dungeons and Dragons Online

Postby Monster on Thu May 29, 2008 9:08 am

So it's been out for 2 years now. I wasn't real impressed in the beta, but 2 years later the game is running nicely and is actually pretty fun, especially if you're already a D&D fan. I got a 10 day trial account from a friend, and have been playing for 3-4 days now.

The combat is pretty close to how I expect Age of Conan's combat to be like. It's not turn- or tick-based (surprisingly) like WoW, it's real time, and you swing or shoot your weapon manually. If you get a bigger weapon like a greatsword, you can even hit multiple targets at once, just like in Age of Conan. However, hits are still based on dice rolls, so unlike Age of Conan, you can swing your sword straight through an enemy and it might not hit (based on your roll and their armor). However, I'm used to how D&D works, so it actually makes sense to me.

The combat is actually very fast paced, probably the fastest paced combat I've played in an MMORPG. It's really lively and realistic looking too. If you come across a group of kobolds, for instance, they don't just run up and start hitting you while standing still. They actually weave and jump around so they are harder to hit, which means you are running around trying to hit them, so it looks pretty realistic.

As far as I know, the only PvP is arena style. Apparently there are deathmatch and CTF modes, but you can also just jump into the ring with a friend and start killing each other without going through any menus or anything. Being D&D, PvP doesn't play a large part, obviously.

The game basically consists of nothing more than getting a quest and going into a dungeon. The whole game so far takes place in a city, so the dungeons are sewers, giant cellars and the like. The aesthetics and gameplay remind me a lot of NWN (but with much better graphics, obviously). You could basically consider it to be like NWN the MMO, only with real time combat.

One other thing... since it's D&D, it takes a while to level. However, you get something like 4 action points per level, which you can use to buy enhancements for your character. These are kind of like talents. One might give you a +1 to hit with melee weapons, another might give you an activated ability that does more damage, or you might raise a stat, etc. Pretty cool.

So far, I really like the game and might get an account after the trial ends. I think it's only $9.99 a month, which is what UO used to cost, so it's a pretty good deal, and I already got the client for free.
Monster
Site Admin

Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online

Postby Monster on Thu May 29, 2008 1:30 pm

One more thing I forgot to mention... this game has, hands down, the best help system I've ever seen in an MMO. Every question I've had was answered by it. It has a built-in search function. I've asked it for a list of emotes, how to hide my helmet (it's not in options), and even what random things in my inventory are for. Very cool.

Oh yeah, and another thing... even though low level items are usually just a +1 with no added effects, they actually have several models for each kind. One man's +1 sword might look different from another's. Nice touch.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:29 am

So, it turns out it's actually $14.99 a month. It's still a fun game though, and I decided to sign up. I can invite up to 5 guests at a time, with each account active for 15 days, so if anyone is interested in trying it out, just let me know.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Seems like 5 more invites than needed for this forum heh. Although I was impressed by your attempted sell.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Throw me the needed info, I'll give it a shot.
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Is your board email correct? That's the address I sent it to. I play on the Khyber server. I'm usually on after 7 Mountain. Character names (add to your friends list):

Arcaia
Darksunder
Twinjack
HellSlayer
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:23 am

Ya I got the invite. I'll be home late this evening, so I won't have time to check it out until tomorrow most likely.
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:26 pm

Cool, RGDelta will probably be on tomorrow night too. He's going to check it out as well.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:09 pm

I made one more character, a warforged monk named Inframan. Unfortunately, Ultraman was taken so I had to use the name of Ultraman's cheap Chinese knockoff (Super Inframan, great movie, very funny).
Monster
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion