Finally got a PlayStation 3

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Finally got a PlayStation 3

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Got the Metal Gear Solid bundle delivered to my house on Friday. So far I'm really impressed with the system itself. It uses the XMB, which is the same menu system the PS3 uses. Nice and intuitive. It also has a web browser which seems a lot better and faster than the crappy Wii one. There seems to be one major drawback, however, in that the controller doesn't seem to charge when the unit is off, unlike the Xbox 360, which is a major design flaw. However, I read that you can charge the PS3 controller off the Wii while it's off, which is pathetic on Sony's part.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is great so far, but it always is.
Monster
Site Admin

Re: Finally got a PlayStation 3

Postby Wynn on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 pm

I assume you bought the PS3 for more than just MGS4. Perhaps you felt the need to own a BluRay player?
Just askin since you didn't buy Rock Band yet. :)
Wynn

Postby Shoruk3n on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:52 pm

I've never had a problem with a discharged controller yet. I have two, so after about a week of using one, I switch. I don't have the dual shock 3 though. Vibration is for marital aids.

One of my favorite uses for my PS3 is streaming movies. I have a 380gb usb drive with a bunch of movies that I use with Tversity. Wireless streaming is teh pwn.

So I'm guessing you won't be getting GTA4 on the PS3 then huh? You big jerk. I have nobody to play with!
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Why would anyone buy a multiplatform multiplayer game on the PS3? XBox Live has a billion (rough figure) more players online than the PS3. Though the gap may close a bit with the release of this new bundle.

Whoever said the USB port on the Wii works when it's off was lying. I have to charge my controller through my DVR, of all things. At least it charges relatively quickly. Sony should be ashamed at such a ridiculous design decision.

I have to play MGS4, so it was a major factor in buying the PS3. However, I also wanted to get a Blu-ray player now that the format wars have ended. There are actually quite a few games I'd like to rent, such as Heavenly Sword (which I believe can be played through in one sitting), and Uncharted, which sounds great. There are future exclusives coming down the line which I will want to play, such as FF XIII (I believe it's exclusive, anyway). And, unfortunately, I will be forced to buy Soul Calibur IV on the PS3 to get Darth Vader, unless someone confirms before release that he will be downloadable on Xbox Live. Namco says Yoda and Vader will be exclusive to their respective systems, which I think sucks. They did that with Soul Calibur 2, but there was no such thing as DLC back then. There's just no excuse for it now.

The PS3 does not play nice with streaming through WMP11 for me. The Xbox 360 works like a champ, but the PS3 just kinda times out when trying to list contents (though some videos have made it through). Pretty disappointing, since the PS3's player seems nicer than the 360's. Maybe I'll give Tversity a try.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Monster wrote:Why would anyone buy a multiplatform multiplayer game on the PS3?

They wouldn't! I was just pointing out how you're a big jerk because you have it on Xbox rather than PS3, and hence can't play with me!

You big jerk!
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:35 am

I tried out Tversity and it works really well. Unfortunately, though, my photos choke it up because it seems to be resizing each one before displaying it. Still, it works 10 times better than streaming through WMP11.

So, Shoruk3n, what's your name on PSN? Are you going to pick up Soul Calibur when it comes out?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:20 am

Monster wrote:I tried out Tversity and it works really well. Unfortunately, though, my photos choke it up because it seems to be resizing each one before displaying it. Still, it works 10 times better than streaming through WMP11.

So, Shoruk3n, what's your name on PSN? Are you going to pick up Soul Calibur when it comes out?

Shoruk3n. Ya I'll be getting Soul Calibur for sure.
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:11 am

So it looks like the PS3's latest firmware update has been killing people's machines. Upon boot, the XMB doesn't come up. So far it looks like the only way to fix it is to remove the hard drive and format it with a PC.

They've pulled the update and are looking into the issue. Glad I've been busy with other games and haven't had time to update it...
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:53 am

Wow, that's terrible.
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:51 am

I was going to say hilarious. But terrible works too.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:57 pm

I tried adding Shoruk3n on PSN, but it said that name doesn't exist. Also, it looks like I'm probably getting the 360 version of SC4. Sorry! I saw a screenshot of a completed character select screen and there is one blank spot... and it happens to be right between Yoda and the Apprentice/Starkiller. Gee, I wonder if that slot is for Darth Vader???? Plus, I might be buying sticks for the 360 due to SF2HD and SF4 coming out, so it would be nice to use them for SC4 as well.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that blank spot isn't for Vader.

I'll try adding you to my friends list. Monnnster?
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 pm

What else could that spot possibly be for?

I think my PSN name is Man or Monster, but it might be ManOrMonster or Man_or_Monster if they don't allow spaces.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:56 pm

Monster wrote:What else could that spot possibly be for?

I don't know, but everything I've read states that Vader will be on PS3 only, and Yoda will be Xbox only.
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:07 am

One major gaming magazine (can't remember which) stated in their preview that Namco Bandai told them it was a possibility. They'd be retarded not to release them as paid DLC because that's what everyone wants, and hey... free money. And from what I hear, Namdai are DLC whores. That's probably why some things are missing from this game that were in the last, such as 17(!!) extra weapon styles for created characters. They're bound to sell the stolen content back to us later.

BTW, my PSN name is ManOrMonster. Oh, and if I wanted the PS3 version I could have bought it last Tuesday from a local game shop. :) Unfortunately, they sold out of the 360 version.
Monster
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion