SWG Beta

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Postby MFalcon on Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:23 pm

In other words.. this game isn't complete.

Oh yea, my friends says: (hes in the beta)

1. Most "actions" like jumping and sitting are done as an emote.
2. Fighting damage is still being tested, the fighting system is either kill it in a few shots OR miss all the time and die.
3. You also don't have any control over fighting since its all done like AO.
4. Little things like small ledges, for example the change from tile to carpet in a house would hang the characters up thinking it was impassible.
5. Jedi are the only ones to have "Jedi powers" or any mystical/magical abilities AND the dark jedi during this period have more power than the light so more dark jedi will be in the game.
6. There is A LOT of skills/professions that are absolutely useless.
7. When fighting monsters and actually killing them you are given little money and useless items that you cannot sell from thier corpse.
8. To train skill you have to pay a trainer, but the trainer wants 1,000 credits starting AND you are given only 50 beginning and monsters giving you only 3 credits a kill will take a player forever to get anywhere.

Thats about the most of what I could remember from him talking about it. He stated that it will gather a lot of players in the first month THEN people will realize the gameplay sucks and leave. Only the die-hards will remain because it has "Star Wars" on the title.
MFalcon

Postby Hado on Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:38 pm

POST DETAILS ARREADYLTA U BITCHES!!! ARRFGggh HULK SMAHS!!!1 KILL U ALL
Hado

Postby Monster on Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:32 am

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe he played in beta 1 and gave up.

1) Jumping is unfortunately an emote complete with text (retarded) but sitting isn't an emote with text. There is sitting, crouching and laying prone in this game, which is pretty common knowledge by now. You don't need jumping in this game, it would be pointless except in rare circumstances, so it's not a big deal.
2) Newbies miss more than others, but missing isn't that common (at least not with my weapon). How well you are able to hit is based on distance which is fairly controllable. His comment is pretty off-base.
3) How much control do you want? You can crouch, go prone, use cover, special abilities... you have more control than in other MMORPG's.
4) I haven't seen that happen.
5) Duh. However, anyone who thinks they can predict that there will be more dark Jedi is talking out his ass. I guarantee your friend has neither played nor seen a Jedi in the game.
6) Not really. Some higher level things aren't fully implemented, but this is always going to happen in beta.
7) Yes and no. Most stuff in the game you can't sell to vendors because the economy is player based. You could have the best gun in the universe and a vendor isn't going to buy it. The stuff that no one would want to buy CAN be sold to vendors.
8) You don't only start with 50 credits. It wouldn't matter if you started with 1,000 credits anyway because you're not going to be able to buy the first skill in a profession tree right off the bat. You have to earn experience, hence "RPG". Seriously though, did your friend start yesterday? I'm already up to a high level profession and I haven't payed a credit for training. The only thing you have to "buy" is professions and those are cheap. There are no enemies that give you 3 credits a kill. 10 times that and more is what you get for newbie NPC's. On top of that, you can run a mission that takes you 10 minutes to get over 1k. And even if you don't kill things or run missions you can still make money through crafting!

In conclusion, you need a new friend. He does know it's a beta, right? That stuff changes all the time? Maybe someone fooled him into thinking he had an advanced copy.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby MFalcon on Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:39 am

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe he played in beta 1 and gave up.

AND

In conclusion, you need a new friend. He does know it's a beta, right? That stuff changes all the time? Maybe someone fooled him into thinking he had an advanced copy.

I'll tell him you said that.. he'll be asbolutely heartbroken. But he got into beta 3 and it was about a month ago. I think they improved things since then and it sounds like the game is shaping up a little better. He said hes going to let me fuck around with it at his house tomorrow and I think he'll be pleasantly surprised if everything has improved that much.
MFalcon

Postby Monster on Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:33 am

Heh heh. Maybe a lot has changed in a month.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:52 am

It sounds like a typical MMORPG beta to me. Features are always incomplete. Balance is always nonexistent. If you expect a "complete" game, then pay for the damn thing when it's released. Beta is to frickin beta test it.
Wynn

Previous

Return to General Discussion