E3 announcements

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

E3 announcements

Postby Wynn on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Xbox led the charge with their keynote this morning. They announced some amazing new stuff:
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Geometry Wars 2, with 4-player coop
  • Portal: Still Alive
  • Gears of War 2
  • Fable 2
  • Resident Evil 5
  • You're In the Movies
  • GTA4 downloadable episode

You're in the Movies looked hilarious. You play minigames by doing certain moves in a camera. Then all your moves are spliced into a funny B-movie at the end. Looks like a great party game.

Here's a clip from the news wire that discusses the project that I work on:
Xbox LIVE Primetime is a groundbreaking channel on the new Xbox experience, a new generation of games and entertainment experiences that will be available this fall for Xbox 360. The world's biggest virtual game show stage, Xbox LIVE Primetime is a place where content is always fresh; play is global, live and massively multiplayer; and prizes are plentiful. A first-of-its-kind phenomenon, this new generation of interactive game shows lets Xbox LIVE members challenge friends and choose to compete against people from across the globe in real time. Xbox LIVE Primetime launches in the fall with the following interactive game:

-- "1 vs. 100" (Endemol). From the makers of "Deal or No Deal," Endemol, the world's largest independent production company, brings the popular television game show "1 vs. 100" to Xbox LIVE Primetime. The exclusive game pits one Xbox LIVE member against 100 others from around the world with a live host and great prizes. The goal of "the One" is to eliminate all the opposition by correctly answering questions, hoping that the opponents will answer incorrectly and be eliminated from the game. And stay tuned for "1 vs. LIVE," where one lucky winner will have a chance to compete against the entire Xbox LIVE community.

Sony and Nintendo follow with their own keynotes tomorrow.
Wynn

Re: E3 announcements

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 am

I'm busy being brainwashed by Reggie...I don't even like Animal Crossing and I kind of want it now.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Wynn on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Sony announced some stuff for the PSP and PS2. The PS3... well, they said for previous platforms the good stuff came 3 years after the console was released, so if you keep waiting you might get something good.

The Massive Action Game sounds interesting. 256-player shooter.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:49 pm

It all sounds pretty cool.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:50 am

So computer-wise all I have to look forward to is Spore, The Sims 3, and Fallout 3.

And I don't think any of those have multiplayer. Consoles killed gaming.

Edit: Operation Flashpoint 2 should be fun and Left 4 Dead is still something to look forward to. But again L4D is coop multiplayer, and OF2 might have multi and hopefully it does.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Wynn on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 am

My obviously biased take on things was that Microsoft's press conference was packed with lots of announcements and some new directions. Sony and Nintendo's were both slower and showed off a few interesting things, but nothing surprising. You can watch the videos yourself on ign and probably some other sites.

Oh, and consoles didn't kill gaming. Consoles improved gaming (for me) because they are more social when you have friends over, and they require less hardware benchmark chasing.
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:28 pm

It's true that pc's do that silly hardware chase, but if people developed games with fun gameplay and shitty graphics i'd just as well play them (see Nox). Consoles have some benefits, but honestly how often do you have people at your house playing on your console? Unless im seriously underestimating you I'd say once every 2 weeks if that and most of the time you're solo'ing it or playing multiplayer. Consoles are coming out with streams of innovative games, at least xbox seems to be (as you mentioned wii and ps3 offered shit this year). All pc and the other consoles have going for them are games that were innovative years ago. Where are the new titles, whatever maybe I've just finally started growing up out of pc gaming what the hell do i know.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Wynn on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:45 pm

I'd actually say that the Wii has the most innovation in games this generation. They have a whole new control scheme and games developed specifically for it. It's captured a huge market of casual gamers who wouldn't otherwise play video games.

None of us are casual gamers though. We might dabble in casual games for fun, but we're all more excited by GTA4 and Fallout 3 and such.

Spore might be one of the more innovative PC games in the pipe. Otherwise, I think you're right. There hasn' t been much innovation on that front lately.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:28 pm

Consoles are slowly killing off PC gaming, but not gaming in general.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 am

I agree about the Wii, hell I bought one because I believed in it. But I'm noticing a slight problem. It appears that besides the Rayman squad at ubisoft, no one but Nintendo themselves is trying to be innovative in their games. Maybe I just haven't played enough games but a lot of the titles use the wiimote for very casual 'who cares' types of moves every now and then.

Spore, yes is innovative-ish, and yes i'll play it, how unfortunate for me that it isn't multiplayer. And yeah don't get me wrong I'm excited for Fallout 3 too, but it's because of all these sequels coming with an automatic following of people that it's probably harder for anyone with a creative idea to come in as say "hey i've got a good idea put your money into me". And yeah you're right monster, it is killing pc gaming in general, oh well, maybe it's just about time i sold my wii and picked up a 360 I don't think I can get away from it.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:02 am

If I had to sell my Wii to get a 360 I'd do it in a heartbeat. You could rent a Wii every time a good game came out if you had to (which is 1-2 times a year at most).

As for Spore not being multiplayer... well, that's Will Wright for you. Maybe the sequel will have multiplayer, or maybe they'll make a multiplayer expansion.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:38 am

That is normal for Nintendo, though. The best games are 1st party titles. They really get game design and take advantage of crazy features to make something fun. It's a lot more difficult for 3rd party developers, it seems.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Here's a video of the new Xbox 360 dashboard, including LIVE Primetime, which Wynn is working on (congratulations, buddy). The idea of being on a virtual game show on my Xbox 360 is pretty exciting. I just don't understand how you will ever be picked as the "1" in 1 VS 100 unless there will be thousands of games going on at once, but if you are playing for real prizes, how good could the prizes really be?

Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:22 am

The formulas are still being tweaked, and I think they''ll see how well the plan works before offering huge prizes. Assuming the game is moderately popular, most people will never make it in to be the 100 or the 1, but hopefully it is still as fun or more fun than watching game shows on TV. At least here the crowd can play along and earn points and achievements. The hope is to capture some of the casual gamer and TV crowd.
Wynn

Return to General Discussion