Street Fighter IV

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Street Fighter IV

Postby Monster on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:31 am

I've always been a big Street Fighter fan. When Street Fighter II was released in arcades, I spent pretty much every day at my local 7-Eleven playing it. Even though I've played pretty much every Street Fighter iteration since then (mostly on consoles, of course), however, I haven't been able to play competitively since the golden era of the original arcade release.

I've been playing Street Fighter IV for a week now, and I think it may be the best Street Fighter release to date, which is saying a lot. It's well balanced, there are no features too technical for most players to grasp/execute (yet some great new gameplay features have been added that are well balanced), it looks great, and perhaps most importantly, it has nearly flawless online play... I feel like I'm playing Street Fighter in the arcade again. When I say it's nearly flawless, I mean there is hardly any lag. Granted, finding games could be improved, as there is no instant "find-a-game-and-join" option, but that's about the only drawback I've noticed so far.

The new additions (revenge gauge/ultra combo, EX moves, EX focus) add a lot to the gameplay and help vary the matches. An EX special move, when used properly, can be much more powerful than a regular special move, for instance. It really adds a whole other level to gameplay. As an example, if you're playing as Balrog against Ryu, you can use an EX charge punch to go right through a fireball. Before, Balrog was pretty useless against fireballs, but now he can use them to get an easy shot out. Street Fighter was always strategic in its gameplay (in high level play), but now it's seriously like playing a strategy/fighting game hybrid.

For me, playing this game online is about as good as gaming gets.
Monster
Site Admin

Re: Street Fighter IV

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Ya I've been on the verge of getting this game for about 3 weeks now. Fate seems to be conspiring with Walmart against me though. Sold out every time I stop by.
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby Shoruk3n on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:51 am

I picked this up along with Resident Evil 5 last week. I'm pretty impressed with SF, it plays just like I remember SF2 Turbo all those years ago. The addition of focus attacks and EX moves is pretty slick too. I'm still bottom-rung when it come to playing online, which pisses me off because I was good enough to beat 99% of my opponents in SF2. Some characters have a huge advantage with EX specials or their ultra combos. Ken, for example, does a wtfstompyourass dragonpunch (which can be blocked low or high), but you have to be right next to your opponent. Sakura, on the other hand, will move forward and attack low, so you get hit if you're just guarding high.

Oh, and I find myself hating my PS3 controller! I think I got a bad batch of D-pads or something.
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:04 am

I have Hori sticks, so I've never played SFIV with a gamepad.

Back in the day, I was the king at my local 7-11 and arcade. Like you, I rarely lost. Online, my win rate is around 66%, but that's been skewed by practicing with new characters in ranked matches (I pretty much only play ranked). Most of my losses come from choosing the wrong character against someone, as this game seems to be almost rock/scissors/paper in its balance (for instance, I have never been beaten by Zangief when I use Blanka). It's rare that I fight someone who is definitely better. Usually, if I lose a match, if I can find that person again I can beat them by choosing a different character. Also, a good portion of my losses happen in lagged games because my timing is thrown off. You have to keep a couple of things in mind... online is not as good as arcade play, because there can be imperceptible lag that still messes up your timing. Also, you're more likely to be playing a more experienced person online than in the arcades, because it's easier to spend 4 hours straight playing online, and you're going to be fighting all kinds of opponents in quick succession.

At this point, the only characters I use on a regular basis are Blanka, Balrog (mostly against Ken and Ryu), Bison, Vega, Gouken, Guile (against Cammy), and E. Honda (against Blanka). Rarely I'll use Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Zangief or Sagat. I used to use Ken and Ryu the most in the old days, but there are so many loser scrubs playing them now that I tend to avoid using them. Also, I love destroying Akuma with Blanka. It's funny, I used to not like charge characters that much but now I play them almost exclusively.

Ken's ultra doesn't give me too much trouble because it's usually pretty easy to bait my opponents into using it, which I then punish them for. However, as I mentioned earlier, there's always a chance that a little big of lag throws your timing off and you get hit when you know you were blocking.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:31 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention... I sucked the first couple of days online because I hadn't had any real competition in like 15 years. After I got used to playing, though, I was back in top form.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:55 pm

Hey you know what's cool? Leaving the match after you lose the first round!
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:33 am

I usually message taunts to those losers. I've actually had people disconnect after I choose my character.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Still playing? I'm considering getting a stick.
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:31 am

I haven't been playing lately (got back into WoW), but I'm always up for playing... on the XBox 360. I don't have it on PS3. Although I hear it was released for the PC too recently.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 pm

I've been playing quite a lot lately. Trying to get to G1, but there's still a lot I have to learn I guess. Keep getting my ass kicked in this bracket. :(

The PC version is pretty attractive, the game + fightpad for $60. Sweet deal!

Edit: Back into WoW? Yuck!
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:50 am

I started playing WoW again less than a month ago and I already have two level 60s, a 63 and a 31. How? I've been playing with my friend through Refer-a-Friend, which gives you triple XP up until level 60, and he can also grant levels to my other characters. I've never been above level 43 or so, so it's almost like a new game for me. I'm loving Outland, and I bought the new expansion to play a Death Knight, which is freakin' awesome. My Death Knight is a killing machine, wreaking havoc all across Hellfire Peninsula.

WoW seems so much better than it used to be. My characters all feel more powerful, too, even at lower levels. It doesn't seem to be near the grind it once was. It also helps that Azeroth is practically abandoned because everyone is playing in Outland or Northrend, so you don't have to camp much and gathering skills are easier to level. Also, green drops in Outland are better than dungeon equipment in Azeroth. I've made over 200 gold on my Death Knight in just a few levels just by doing quests and selling quest rewards and green drops to vendors. This is the gameplay I always wanted in WoW.

As for SF IV, I actually stopped playing before I started playing WoW again. I worked my ass off to get to the top in G3(or was it G2? Don't remember how the rankings work) and when I finally did it, it didn't register it for me. WTF? After that I kinda quit. I'll start playing again eventually. However, King of Fighters is coming out at the end of this month and it looks amazing.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:17 pm

I have an 80 DK, lots of fun. As with any OP class though, it's been nerfed and nerfed again. I had a 2200ish 2v2 arena team, that was all I had any fun with. The grind was the reason I quit though, it's still there, but not at < 80 I suppose.

What do you mean it didn't register for you in SF? How many grade points did you have?
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 pm

I had enough to get to the next tier or whatever (forgot how it works), I won the final match, I was all cheering, then when I checked my rating again it didn't go up.

Death Knights were nerfed? I would have liked to see them before, because my Death Knight destroys everything she touches. She can solo elites 2 levels higher and have almost full health when she's done, and she murders horde left and right in Hellfire. She has higher DPS than my hunter, even. I definitely don't feel nerfed. I haven't played any battlegrounds or arena yet though.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:44 pm

The gear you have out of the gate is far above par. PvE leveling, your DK is badassness. I'm not sure how they are in PvP these days, and TBH I don't care, WoW has run it's course for me.

As far as I know, you don't have to win a tourney to go from G3 -> G2, you just need the grade points.
OMFG WoW!
Shoruk3n

Return to General Discussion