A public service announcement conerning Dragon Age

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

A public service announcement conerning Dragon Age

Postby Monster on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:54 am

Do NOT buy Dragon Age on consoles! The PC version is so superior it's laughable. I was very disappointed in the XBox 360 version, then I played it on the PC and it is much better. Main reasons:

• The graphics are far superior on PC. The textures are fairly low resolution on consoles, and even the animation is choppier. The graphics are bad enough (for a current gen game) that my wife was actually commenting on them. However, it looks much better (still not great, but much better) on PC.
  • You don't have full control over your party on consoles. In the PC version you have full control like in the Baldur's Gate series. Until I played it on the PC, I couldn't believe they were calling this a spiritual successor to BG. Combat was ridiculously hard when you had no control over where your party members stood. For instance, there's a tough battle near the beginning that is made much tougher when your stupid teammates run after someone into an ambush when in the PC version you can just pull them back. There's no way to tell your party to fall back on consoles.
  • The PC version is fully modabble, so you can make corrections to stupid design decisions. On consoles you're stuck with a limited numbed of tactics slots. On the PC you can mod your game to have as many as you want, which makes your characters' AI more effective in battle.
  • The interface is far superior on PC.
  • You can cheat on PC! Since it's fully modabble, you can change whatever you want. If you don't like a skill or talent/spell, you can drop it and get a new one. There is no built-in respeccing otherwise. One change I made was to turn a rogue that you get in your party from an archer into a dual-wielder. I made her what I wanted her to be instead of the weak character they made her into.
Monster
Site Admin

Re: A public service announcement conerning Dragon Age

Postby Wynn on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Bummer. I guess that really is a PC game with a shoddy port to console to try to make some extra bucks. What a shame. I do think decent console games need to be designed with the console in mind from the very beginning.
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:02 am

I'm just here to pull my standard rant about how this game sucks.

Ok, maybe not sucks, but hardly worth all the hype especially coming out of bioware. I started on Hard difficulty setting and have run into no problems thus far. The story scenes where people alk are too long, I should be able to interupt and just read the convos. Maybe there's a setting for this but I didn't see it right away. The story is alright, but I'm shockingly enjoying Borderlands more. And saying that hurts me.

Anyway, figured I should just mention that since we all know how much I love being wrong about THE BESTZOR video games.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:24 pm

I was really enjoying the game until tonight when the mouse and keyboard would suddenly stop working for no apparent reason, leaving me no option but to Alt-F4 out of the game. Happened at least three times tonight, and never happened before tonight. Two of the times happened during conversation, one of them happened when I was just walking around.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby -Xanath- on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:04 am

I've only ever played through one RPG more than once, and that was Mass Effect. The second time, I was a mean and angry person. Dragon Age broke that rule; on the second playthrough, I was an evil dwarf noble. HOOOOOLY HILARITY!
-Xanath-

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:05 pm

Hey, look who's still alive!

I have hardly played in the last couple of weeks due to Modern Warfare 2. I figured out the keyboard/mouse issue though... I enabled the console and it doesn't display anything when you open it, so I was accidentally opening it and since I didn't know it was open I didn't realize I just needed to close it.
Monster
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion