Justification for getting the game

Discuss.

Justification for getting the game

Postby Monster on Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:59 am

I started to hate the game tonight. Why? Because combat was nerfed again. Not only was it nerfed, I think it was nerfed on accident. Seriously. But then me and Wynn got a fun idea. We went all Gesus on the local cantina.

There are things called "weapon certifications" in the game. They added this a couple weeks ago. Before that anyone could wield any weapon and do damage. This was how the game was originally designed. Now it's like every other game. If you equip a weapon that you do not have a cert for, it does little damage. For instance, I got this BADASS gun that shoots missiles and makes huge explosions, but I do 8 damage with it (to a max of 25). To put this in perspective, my blaster, which has much weaker stats, I can do about 200 or more damage with. I hate how this works. Surely they can reduce the damage, but not make it pointless to use? What's the point of being able to wield anything you aren't certified for if you can hit something with your BARE HANDS and do more damage?

This gave me an idea. Wynn and I dressed up in nothing but bikini briefs and cloaks (which in this case made us look like we just got out of the pool into bath robes) and headed to the local cantina to duel. I gave him a gun he didnt have a cert for and I used the badass missile gun for maximum effects action (explosions everywhere!).

We "dueled" this way for about 5 minutes, with neither of us getting hurt. It greatly amused the people hanging out in the cantina and was a spectacle for many there. It was also funny as we were ad libbing while fighting (I was supposedly a pimp upset about Wynn not paying my working girl). It was the best time I've had playing the game thus far.

After I quit I went and looked through all my screenshots and realized that even though the game has been broken in many ways, and in many ways still IS, I have some good memories already. If you play this game with friends, it can't really ever get too boring. If I decide to get it this week, it will be because we all get it and hang out and have fun, not because the bugs will be fixed. Because they won't be. This game is not ready for launch. But we can make it fun, and we can suffer through the first (free) month or so until the game is more balanced. Having a head start is always a good idea in an MMORPG. We'll be able to get the names we want, we'll be able to get the real estate we want. And think about it. The game isn't more than other PC games you buy. The first month is free. And 15 dollars a month is chump change really. What do you say guys? Should we go for it?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:36 am

heh, as fun as that sounds (and really it does) it sounds like a wizzard or conjururer running around cast all defensive spells + burn trying to kill the other guy. But I guess I should have been there to see it. You still dont have me convinced that it is worth the 15 per month so I'm unfortunetly gonna sit back and wait a month or so to see how you guy feel about it then :/
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Wynn on Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:55 am

Monster, did you get any screenshots of me in my bathrobe?

It was frickin hilarious.. In the cantina are normally a bunch of musicians and dancers entertaining everybody (watching them helps you heal up). In a big city like we were in, the Cantina typically has like 20 people hanging out in it. Suddenly in walks two freaks wearing robes and nothing but speedos. "WHERE'S THE SHOWER???" "Is there a hot tub in this establishment?" Then Monster starts shouting at me about not paying his woman for her services, and I tell him I never pay for those kind of services, and suddenly a fight breaks out! We go running around the cantina shooting the shit out of everything, ducking behind the bar, crawling around on the floor... Meanwhile the whole room is cracking up laughing at these two half naked men blowing the place up.

At the end, Monster decided he couldn't stay mad at me, so we hugged, put our clothes back on, and sat in the cantina and hung out for a while. I got a couple tells saying "good show!"

Messing around with people is the best part of the game. You can mess with people in other ways too. As a crafter, when you create an item you can give it whatever name you want. So a basic item is called something like "Metal Necklace", and people might pay 300cr for it. Well, given the right color scheme, I can name it "Diamond-inlaid Golden Necklace" and sell it for 750cr. A Cloak renamed as "Jedi Cloak" sells very well.
Wynn

Postby MFalcon on Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:07 am

Well you guys have me in, as I said before. The game sound fun even with any faults it may have, since every MMO has them.

I posted in the other forum that I'll hop on board as the armor crafter with some other suggestions for the other skills.

You still dont have me convinced that it is worth the 15 per month

We lead you follow eh DV? Grow a pair.
MFalcon

Return to Star Wars Galaxies