Won my first real duel today!

Discuss.

Won my first real duel today!

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:43 am

It was against a newbie, and it was a no deathblow match (word of honor, can't really enforce such things).

I wasted him. I had like half my health left by the time he got incapacitated. Then he kept asking me tips on how to do better next time.

So later that night he wanted to duel again. I agreed, only this time I had my Imperial NPC that I bought through factions waste him! Hahahaha. He didn't like that. I told him I just HAD to do it. He calmed down after that.

It's not like I actually killed him or anything. Heh.
Last edited by Monster on Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby MFalcon on Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:23 am

This reminds me. How does the PVP work in this game? And what is the consequences of dying? Is it similar to UO where you fight and one goes criminal? Also with the dying do you die permanently or just lose any experience you were working on?

Thanks.
MFalcon

Postby Wynn on Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:43 am

I've never died. But then again, I haven't fought much. I've been a crafter through most of the beta. Now I'm itchin to kill stuff
Wynn

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:55 pm

You don't lose experience ever. When you die you either clone at the closest facility, which incurs a wound penalty (stats bars shrink permanently until you get it fixed) or you can clone at the last place you chose to be cloned with no penalty. If you didn't insure your items you'll have to run to your corpse to get them.

There are two kinds of PvP: duel and faction. Duels can be against anyone, anywhere, and is consentual. Faction PvP is also possible anywhere and is non-consentual (kinda). You have to join either the Empire or Rebellion, and must be "overt" (vs. covert) for other people to know you are part of that faction and become attackable.

Something that is really cool about combat in this game is that you have to be "deathblowed" to die. Most animals merely incapacitate you so you are just knocked out for like a minute-and-a-half. Same with PvP. In a duel, for instance, you will knock your opponent out, then you can choose whether or not to kill him. The duels I had were honorable no-deathblow duels where you aren't supposed to deathblow the opponent.

I think this is a great feature. Because of the way combat is set up in this game we are free to do things such as have "fight clubs" and "cock fights" without fearing any penalties from the game system (such as "notoriety" or "alignment"). We'll be able to practice dueling and PvP on each other without fear.

In fact, belonging to the Empire, we'll be able to have NPC "cock fights" :). When your faction "pet" (ie NPC that you hire with faction points) dies, you can call him from your datapad immediately and at full health. This means there is no risk having NPCs fight! You can only call them if you are in a camp, a city, or are near a building you have access to.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:30 pm

"permanently until you get it fixed"

Um... I'm still trying to comprehend this phrase. I think you've been reading the SWG boards too much, Monster. The idiocy is rubbing off on you.

If your NPC "pet" dies, do you have to pay another 200 faction points to get a new one? Or can you just respawn infinite number of times just by paying one up front cost to get the pet?
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:11 am

Let me put simpler words together so you can understand:

The woundies no go away by themselves!

That's why it's permanent unless you specifically try to fix them.

If your NPC "pet" dies, do you have to pay another 200 faction points to get a new one? Or can you just respawn infinite number of times just by paying one up front cost to get the pet?

This can be best answered by my previous post:

When your faction "pet"... dies, you can call him from your datapad immediately and at full health. This means there is no risk having NPCs fight!

Hence, pet no die forever! Yay!
Monster
Site Admin

Postby MFalcon on Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:32 am

I love the deathblow concept. That reminds me of Ultima VII how you wouldn't have to kill someone unless you really wanted to. By the way, can you loot them if they are unconscious? I also like the duel/faction setup since the whole noteriety/alignment system in UO sucked. This way there isn't so much focus on your "status" within the community.
MFalcon

Postby Monster on Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:50 am

You can't loot players who are incapped because they are just lying down. It isn't a corpse or anything.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:29 am

If you can repair the damage, it's not permanent. Permanent means permanent!
Wynn

Return to Star Wars Galaxies