Jedi FAQ

Discuss.

Jedi FAQ

Postby Wynn on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:19 am

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.co ... Jedi%20FAQ

Will I be able to play a Jedi?
Potentially. For those who succeed in opening the Force Sensitive slot, the journey to become a Jedi will be very difficult and rewarding. It may be months before the first Jedi appears in a given galaxy.

How do Jedi work?
Your main character does not become a Jedi. Rather, the actions of your main character can unlock an additional character slot which is Force Sensitive. Characters created in this additional slot can then advance through the Jedi skills as well as any of the other skills in the game. Each player account allows for only one potential Jedi slot and the mysterious method to unlock it won't be the same for every player.

How are you going to keep Jedi rare?
Jedi characters suffer permadeath unless they reach Jedi Master status. You do not lose the Jedi character slot, but the character in that slot is deleted. Upon reaching Jedi Master status, if your Jedi Master dies he or she becomes a "blue glowy" (like Obi-Wan did in the movies) rather than permadying. In order to compensate for deaths that are completely out of control of the player (such as ones caused by network latency) each Jedi will be able to die a couple times before death is permanent. The life of a Jedi is extraordinarily difficult, and successfully making it all the way to Jedi Master should be considered the most difficult challenge in the game.

Will there be a numerical limit on the number of Jedi allowed on each server?
No. We're not using artificial means such as quotas or caps to limit the Jedi population. We're designing an organic system that will allow the Jedi population to fluctuate over time.

Will only the extremely lucky or hardcore players get to play Jedi?
Jedi status is not determined based on "luck." However, Jedi is considered an advanced objective to achieve within the game. Casual and hardcore players alike can reach this objective because the path is different for each player. However, it might take a casual player considerably longer to unlock a Force Sensitive character slot.

Is it possible for other species besides humans to become Jedi?
Yes. Any player, regardless of character species, has the potential to become a Jedi.

Can I become Dark Jedi?
Eventually. Considering that you must become a Jedi first, we don't expect many people to have the opportunity to fall to the dark side when we release. We'll add the capability for player Dark Jedi in the future. We're creating the Jedi system to take into account Dark Jedi. However, be warned that the life of a Dark Jedi will be very perilous....

Will I be able to choose to become a Dark Jedi from the start, or must they become Jedi then fall?
According to the continuity, most dark Jedi start off as Jedi and then "fall." In our game system, you have to become a Jedi first.

Can I become a Sith Lord in the game?
No, although players may someday be able to become Dark Jedi, they will not be able to become Sith Lords. The films explicitly state that there are only two Sith Lords at any given time, and the two during the time of Star Wars Galaxies have been clearly identified as the Emperor and Darth Vader.

Can I have a title like "Jedi Knight" or "Jedi Master"?
We've included Jedi titles, like "Jedi Knight" and "Jedi Master" in the game. Dark Jedi will likely have the same titles as the regular Jedi (Dark Jedi Knight, Dark Jedi Master).

Will you have the "Jedi Trials" in the game?
We have decided that in order to be more faithful to the time period of the game, we will not to put in official "Jedi Trials." Player Jedi Masters may come up with their own requirements for those they choose to apprentice, however we feel the true "trial" will just be surviving.

How are Force powers be implemented?
Force powers function much like skills in Star Wars Galaxies; we're actually using the same basic set of rules for both systems. Like skills, Force powers are divided into several disciplines, allowing players to select specific powers and areas of focus.

If I am a Jedi with a lightsaber, will I be able to block blaster shots and perform other cool lightsaber tricks?
Lightsabers will have all the same capabilities as those seen in the film, but a lightsaber doesn't automatically confer special abilities to the wielder--a Jedi will still need the proper skills and training to master things like "blaster reflection."

Can I build my own lightsaber?
Yes, but we're following a few simple rules that have been established by the continuity of Star Wars, such as only Jedi can manufacture lightsabers. Building a lightsaber is difficult. Only Jedi can use lightsabers effectively. A Jedi is more skilled with his or her personal lightsaber than with a "borrowed" lightsaber.

How long will it take a Jedi to construct his or her lightsaber?
This will probably come down to balancing, with our starting duration based on the continuity. We don't want lightsabers to be really easy or quick to produce, but we also don't want it to take an inordinate amount of time. According to continuity, it took Luke quite some time to build his lightsaber on Tatooine and he "failed" many attempts. But, he was also working in a relative vacuum, without a Master and only Obi-Wan's journal to guide him.

Can I make a double-bladed lightsaber?
Learning how to build a double-bladed lightsaber will likely be more difficult than learning how to build a normal lightsaber. You will also probably need more components (additional crystals, for example). And, it may be more difficult to learn how to wield the weapon effectively, since so few Jedi have spent the time necessary to master the double-bladed lightsaber, and it is so rare during the original trilogy's time period.

Can lightsabers get old and "break"?
We will have item decay in the game, and this will affect lightsabers as well. However, a Jedi has the knowledge necessary to maintain a lightsaber, preventing such decay.

Can I choose what color my lightsaber will be?
We will offer multiple lightsaber colors.
Wynn

Postby Wynn on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:24 am

It looks like once you unlock the Force Slot, it is always unlocked. So you can create Jedi Knight Special Ed and run around like a retard until you die, and then restart with a different Jedi if you want.

I'm going to make my guess about how to unlock Force Slot. I'm going to guess that each character is secretly assigned 2 out of the 26 elite professions at charcater creation, and if you get to Master of those 2 professions, then you unlock the force slot. So really that means any character can unlock it if they cycle through all 650 combinations. Pure speculation on my part, but it is a possibility.
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:57 pm

reading this faq has gotten me more interested...

what other cool things can i do, im lazy so link me :(

(but dude i want swing a lightsaber as a Dark Jedi Master!) now i gotta fish up 70 bucks to buy this, and then 15 monthly, do they accept checks? :/ or can i buy time or soemthing in store?
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:27 pm

I personally think it would be in Sony's best interest to make a Jedi server where everyone can make a Jedi. They should do this in a few months. There's going to be a lot of upset people once they find out they may never be a Jedi.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:34 pm

Why would anybody be upset? This was never a secret. This was public knowledge from the beginning.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:37 pm

Doesn't matter. There's still lots of people who don't know it. I'd be willing to bet half the people who eventually play SWG will not read the FAQ before purchase. It says on the back of the box you can be a Jedi! It doesn't say you "might" be a Jedi, it says you can be "even a Jedi".
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:25 pm

a guy at my school once said "even you can prevent forest fires". I'm the last guy that can prevent one, believe me.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Return to Star Wars Galaxies