First impressions

Super secret underground base!

First impressions

Postby Monster on Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:27 pm

First of all, character creation rocks. There's a HUGE number of costume choices, and depending on which origin you choose, you can have even more. For instance, if you choose the mutation origin you can have rock or ice skin.

When designing your costume, not only are there tons of options AND colors, but textures within many options (for instance you can have a shirt blend from one color to another, or have camo or tiger stripes, etc). bug eyes, antennae, horns, tails, pointy ears, non-human skin colors, hats, helmets, etc. You can really make almost anything you want, though there are no flowing clothes like capes or trenchcoats yet (though I hear mumblings that they may be added).

Once in the game, the first thing I noticed was the quality. This is the highest quality MMORPG ever for sure. The interface is clean and nice looking, the graphics are detailed, the effects are great, and the framerate is SMOOTH! I don't know how they did it, but it's a very smooth game. I also experienced very little lag.

Your hero really feels like a hero right out of the gate. You have a sprint power that makes you run very fast, and barely drains endurance so you can keep it on indefinitely. You can jump things as tall as your character, such as fences, very easily. It's a lot of fun running across cities, bounding off everything, and up onto roofs.

Combat is very fast paced and fun. It's not uncommon to take on 4-5 enemies at a time and live. One of the characters I created has an assault weapon that has both burst fire and a shotgun style blast. The shotgun blast hits multiple enemies AND sometimes knocks them on their ass! It's very gratifying.

Of course, combat is the only thing to do in this game for the most part. You can get missions that range from killing everyone in a building to rescuing civilians and disarming bombs within a time limit, but all this revolves around combat. This makes sense though (what else do superheroes do)?

Unfortunately, there are still a few issues to iron out. My game crashed about 5 times last night, mostly while zoning. Also, there is a serious lack of random low-level spawn on the streets when a zone is busy. Also, Fifth Column members (a terrorist nazi group) don't attack in missions at all. Kinda weird.

All in all, a great game so far, except for the crashes. I can't wait to get home and play some more! I'll post some screenshots of my characters later.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:40 pm

I'm in the super secret forum! Woo hoo!

Sounds pretty neat. Is it fun?
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:21 pm

Sounds neat indeed, can't wait to crash. I mean play! hehe ;)
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:24 pm

Yeah, it's fun. At least so far. I think it will get even better... a lot better once I get higher level and am fighting zombies and aliens instead of thugs.

One other thing I forgot to mention... the emotes are GREAT. Very good animation, many with sounds, and they have a rock/scissors/paper game that actually works, and a dice emote where you kneel down and shoot some dice, and whatever you roll appears above your head as a dice icon. It's very slick.
Monster
Site Admin

Return to City of Heroes