Who's playing WoW?

Talk about things like elves and gnomes. (It's cooler than it sounds.)

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:32 pm

I decided to go to a PVE server because of you guys. We've already lost you, so I'm going to the server my friends want to go to.

I would have been willing to go PVP, as would Shoruken, but since we have 2-3 others who want to go PVE, and there's no real point to playing on a PVP server just so we can gank people for the hell of it, we're going PVE.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Hado on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:47 pm

Hado

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:13 pm

All the rhetoric in the world can't change the fact that there is no purpose to the PVP server at this point beyond losers trying to compete on a non-existent ladder or assholes ganking people for the sake of ganking. That article summed it up best... people who try and defend the PVP server can't do any better than rhetoric or name calling. They can't come up with a real reason for it.

How many times are you in a contested zone and actually facing off against another team that's the same level? I bet more often than not you're ganking some poor orc who is just trying to reach level 22 or running into a group of Horde 5 levels higher than you who are just going to own your ass no matter how good you are.

I'm the furthest thing from a carebear. I joined the PVP server in open beta hoping it would be like classic UO (the most hardcore MMORPG that ever was), where anyone can be attacked outside of town. That includes Alliance VS Alliance. The PVP server is a watered down bitch version of PVP. You can't even go into enemy territory and start killing. You have to let THEM attack YOU.

Besides, there's one extra bonus feature on PVE servers: you can play as both Horde AND Alliance!
Monster
Site Admin

Come on guys

Postby Wynn on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:40 pm

Stop.

Take a breath.

There's obviously a difference in perspective here and some hurt feelings because of it. Hado sees NNN as a group of friends who share a lot in common, can hang out and play games together. Monster sees NNN as an official orgnanization of competitive gamers, who should proudly display this name.

What's the real point here? The point is we're all cool and usually get along well, and are good at the games we play. We enjoy playing with each other when possible. Now, sometimes our personal gaming preferences don't align with the majority of the group. Does that mean we as individuals should ignore our own preferences and go with the group because that's what the clan decides we should do? If it's a minor decision like what server, then a clan decision makes sense. For something larger like "are we going to play XXX?" some individuals wont be interested, and that should be fine.

NNN is a very small clan. I don't think the population is big enough to have an actual clan presence in most games, considering that not everyone will play. If this is true, then one of three things can happen.

1) NNN actively recruits members to grow to a large clan size, where presense can be significant in games with perhaps 50% of the clan playing that game.

2) NNN is a group of online friends who play together. Whatever games we play where more than one NNN member exists, we play together. This may often mean NNN members join an existing clan together.

3) NNN disbands

I personally would prefer #2, where we stick together where possible, but the NNN tag itself is not necessary. We can continue to grow our group and maybe eventually become #1, but I would hate to recruit a bunch of jack weasels who turn out to be idiots. Perhaps we consider ourselves akin to Mercenaries, where we join forces with whatever larger org offers us the best deal (be it the best chance of success, the most fun to play with, or cold hard cash).

That's just my opinion. And I'm just one member of NNN. We'll all have to decide what we want to do. I strongly encourage those of you playing WoW to play on the same server, and play together when possible. Don't worry about the name of the clan. We're still together as a group no matter what title is displayed over our heads. Isn't that the real point?
Wynn

Postby Hado on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:44 pm

It's funny, you should read his "Play to win" article, too.. I don't think Sirlin has much MMO experience, he didn't even have a guild to play with.

If you can't deal with levelling efficiently/smartly to get ahead of the curve, or at least get to a competitive level, get out of the PVP server. You might as well be playing EQ or an FPS game where levels make no difference.

It's a given all those guilds listed to join our PVP server will have fielded level 50+ players within a month. They're all well known, some have been playing WoW for a long long time together, some from other MMO's. That's why we picked the server, because all the meaningful combat takes place at high levels, and there will be no shortage of that where we are, guaranteed.

:edit:

Wynn, I think that makes perfect sense!
Hado

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:50 pm

No, you chose that server because PFB is on it. If PFB chose a different server, I bet you'd join that one.

I agree with you Wynn, for the most part, except for the following...

NNN is a very small clan. I don't think the population is big enough to have an actual clan presence in most games, considering that not everyone will play.

Whatever games we play where more than one NNN member exists, we play together. This may often mean NNN members join an existing clan together.

We don't need to join an another clan in WoW. PFB doesn't have any more members than we do. The point is moot. They aren't joining PFB because they're a large clan. In fact, they believe PFB will be the best with only 6 people or so.

Also, do you have any MMORPG experience, Hado? I seem to recall that you don't, especially since you are saying that levels don't matter in EQ (?!). EQ invented this style of MMORPG.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Hado on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:33 pm

O_o
"You might as well be playing EQ **OR** an FPS game where levels make no difference."
I said EQ because there's no PVP. Go play that if you're afraid of having to level to keep up in pvp.

PfB currently has a total of 9-11 actively playing WoW. (Well, one of the guys might play with Nurfed over on the Horde side, another is coming home from school). Usually running two groups at any given time, players cycle on and off so there's almost always room except sometimes in major instances.

Just ignore what DV said, he was talking about the grouping and not total members anyway.

And honestly, if PfB had not joined that server for any other reason other than lag, I would not be playing with them in the first place. It's because a lot of their members think like I do ie competitively that I'm play with them.
Hado

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:48 pm

Besides, your idea of "competition" in WoW is levelling faster than other people until you're level 60. News flash, not everyone can play 14 hours a day, so there's no "competing" if you have an actual life. There's no way I can keep up with levelling when I can "only" play 5-6 hours a day.

On the PVE server I'm betting that plenty of level 60's will have their PVP flag on, so there's still no point in playing on a PVP server unless you just want to gank fools in contested areas.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Hado on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:19 pm

There's a difference between mindlessly putting hours into the game hoping to get ahead, and levelling smartly/efficiently while having everything planned out. That's one of the differences between casual players and competitive players.

Getting the most powerful characters on the server first, maintaining a monoply on trade/auctioned items..that's only the beginning. My idea of true competition is when we face all those other well-known uber guilds, and defeat them with lesser numbers and superior gameplay.

http://www.afraidyet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6967
32 alliance guilds vs 44 horde. Should be interesting.
Hado

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:31 pm

You let us know when PFB is the best guild in the game.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:36 pm

And you let us know when you're bored of PvE with Stix's guild.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Hado on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:40 pm

Oh you can be sure of it, now that you've asked for it :0

Videos, pics, detailed reports, we'll have it all.
Hado

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:47 pm

There will be plenty of PVP in the PVE server. Let me know how you enjoy getting ganked all the time since you won't be able to level as fast as the rest of your guild, DV.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:53 pm

Let me know when you want to play Halo 2!
Wynn

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:56 pm

Let me know when you want to play WoW!

Honestly, I doubt I'll get much Halo 2 in unless no one happens to be on WoW. Well, I might jump in on Saturday nights since I traditionally have a friend over that day.

Though I'll probably be on tonight.
Monster
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to World of Warcraft