Who's playing WoW?

Talk about things like elves and gnomes. (It's cooler than it sounds.)

Who's playing WoW?

Postby Monster on Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:33 pm

I am, and I know Shoruken is. Anyone else? I'm playing on Server 12, which is a PVP server.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:12 pm

Tell me what you like about WoW compared to other MMORPGs
Wynn

Postby Monster on Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:59 pm

The world looks great. Very well designed. Interesting landscapes, great looking buildings. Models and animation are nicely done as well. Textures are beautifully done, making the game look like a 3D cartoon.

Spawn everywhere. It's never hard to find something to fight at your level (so far, anyway).

Combat is great. When fighting something comparable to your level, the battle can be really close and if you make a mistake or two you'll die. Also, battle is fairly quick. You won't spend 5 minutes fighting a single thing, not even a boss, like in most other major MMORPG's. You have a lot to do in battles as well. As a 12th level rogue I have access to like 6-7 different techniques that I switch between during the battle. For instance, when soloing a monster, I stun it, then I have to actually move behind it, then backstab, then do a "finisher" or another combo move and then a finisher... very involved.

Almost no downtime. While engaged in combat, healing has to be done the usual ways... potions, spells, etc. But between battles you heal up at a fantastic rate. It's a brilliant design. Possibly the best feature in the game.

Quests coming out of your ears. The game is really quest based. Whenever you reach a new town you'll get a bunch of new quests, which of course reward you with items, equipment, money and experience, all the while subtly pushing you to explore the world.

Lots of crafting skills. Enchanting, alchemy, blacksmithing, mining, tailoring, etc.

Right now I have a bunch of cool quests that have to do with stuff on the beach and out in the ocean near this town. In one quest I had to swim out in the ocean to find a dead giant turtle (it was about as big as a house) and take a sample from it. It was right next to an old sunken ship complete with an elven ghost sailor. Also, I had to fight some sea monsters that looked like the Loch Ness Monster. First MMORPG I've seen that actually lets you fight underwater!

There's also voluntary dueling. So far I've owned everyone I've fought. The coolest thing about duels is you aren't killed if you lose; The duel just ends, so people usually aren't too scared to duel.

I guess, best of all, the game just feels right.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:53 am

I'm on 31 (Pacific) playing horde with some friends (well, more like one friend because the rest didn't want to wait for the download).

if you guys are planning to play retail, let me know.
Stix

Postby Monster on Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:44 am

I think I will.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:54 am

I'm on 31 also stix, what's your game name? I can't remember mine at the moment...
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby Monster on Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:01 pm

Xanath, Hado and DV are all on 38, Mountain PVP server. I'm on 12 but I'll probably move to there, or have them move to mine. We really should all be on the same server, or at least be on the same when retail comes out.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:03 pm

Also, what's everybody's name? On 12 I'm Shadowstride, and I just made a character on 38 named Grimshot.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Shoruk3n on Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:10 pm

I'm "Haggan" on 31. But if you guys are all on 38, I'm going to play there. How often is everyone playing?
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby DarkViruz on Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:36 pm

Hado and xanath (ingame names the same for both) pretty much 24/7 they only started on 38 like 36 hours ago and they're up to level 24+ and 16+.

I've been playing on and off I'm up to level 10. My name being PantsOfDoom. If you guys hurry you can party with me at some point. I'm a Gnome Warlock.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:13 am

Shoruk3n wrote:I'm on 31 also stix, what's your game name? I can't remember mine at the moment...

Helgrim. Another Noxer you might know is there too. Take a guess. :D

I'll add you to friends the next time I'm on.

I'll try to coordinate playing on the same server with you guys for retail. I'd join you now, but I don't want to do the 1-20 content three times in less than a month. I've also devoted myself to another guild I've been playing with for three years on some other games (we've been talking about WoW since it was announced).

As it stands, they want to pick a PvE server on West and play Alliance primarily to start, though we all agree that we want to play both Alliance and Horde.

We chose PvE because, from my experiences, the PvP servers have some glaring flaws when you're in "enemy territory," and the addition of battlegrounds in the future will give us the "always flagged for pvp" zones we sometimes want. While the sense of danger in contested zones with the PvP ruleset is enticing at times, we all agreed that sometimes we just want to do a quest without getting ganked every time we try to run to some NPC crucial to our quest in that contested zone. We decided that when we want to PvP we can always put our /pvp flags on or go to a battleground when they're finished.

We chose the West realm because one of them is currently living in Japan. While it's unlikely that he'll be able to play from there, we want to give him the chance of doing so with minimal lag, in case he can find a way to pay for the unbelievably high-priced connections they have over there.
Last edited by Stix on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stix

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:59 am

Same here. I'm on server 12 and I don't really feel like starting over again until retail. I'm still only level 16 and I've been playing for days. The only problem is that I don't know if Blizzard will wipe. It would be nice to know these things so I can know whether to just start again on 38 now.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:08 am

We chose PvE because, from my experiences, the PvP servers have some glaring flaws when you're in "enemy territory," and the addition of battlegrounds in the future will give us the "always flagged for pvp" zones we sometimes want. While the sense of danger in contested zones with the PvP ruleset is enticing at times, we all agreed that sometimes we just want to do a quest without getting ganked every time we try to run to some NPC crucial to our quest in that contested zone. We decided that when we want to PvP we can always put our /pvp flags on or go to a battleground when they're finished.

Why are you getting ganked, you should be the one doing the ganking!
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:09 am

I did a big edit on my message above to fill you in on our thoughts. I didn't know you guys would all be joining up on WoW and I already devoted myself to my other guild. I would like to join both guilds with all my characters, if only I could. Or suggest a merge, but I know they wouldn't go for that (at least not until they get to know you guys). Well, one of them already knows Rob, Raz and Hado pretty well, and knows who DV and Wynn is from Nox. (I think he joined after you stopped playing, Monster.) But the rest don't know anyone here and, as a rule, they don't let people join and choose not to merge without first getting to know people for a while.

So it'd be cool if we could pick the same server, though it's fine if we don't. I could try to split time on different servers. But, if you want to coordinate, I just have some questions:

What type of server were you looking to join? PvE or PvP?

What timezone realms would you be fine playing in?

Are you planning to play Alliance, Horde or both?

And are the plans I described in my previous post fine? Or are they not something you'd want to go with?
Last edited by Stix on Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stix

Postby Stix on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:18 am

DarkViruz wrote:Why are you getting ganked, you should be the one doing the ganking!

Hey, I ganked people! Nothing like running over someone running through Ashenvale or Redridge. And I helped gank other ganksquads when it was called for. That's always fun and in an ideal world I'd be the one doing all the ganking. But the reality is that it's pretty much always back and forth. And after two hours of fighting and getting pushed back into your side's town in that zone for the 50th time, you sometimes reach the point where you just want to go kill those damn orc NPC's for that quest that's been in your log forever. =)
Stix

Next

Return to World of Warcraft