Who's playing WoW?

Talk about things like elves and gnomes. (It's cooler than it sounds.)

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:11 am

I think Mountain would probably be best, since it's pretty much in the middle of everyone. Of course, I live in Mountain so I might be a little biased. Still, it makes sense, doesn't it? Better than Central too since it's closer to the west coast, where most of you reside.

I guess I don't know the major difference between PvE and PvP. Are they the same except you don't need the PvP flag in contested zones, or what?

Also, I think that Blizzard might wipe. Here's some evidence, from the front page of worldofwarcraft.com:

World of Warcraft Open Beta Raid Contest - Ordinn on 11/10/04

New, powerful monsters are terrorizing the inhabitants of Azeroth! We're looking for a few good adventurers to help clear them out and restore peace to the troubled regions. From now until the end of Open Beta, we'll be running the World of Warcraft Open Beta Raid Contest. The first guilds to successfully defeat one of the new high-level raid boss monsters can reserve their guild name for retail! Click here to learn more!

If reserving your guild name for retail is a reward, isn't that an indication that there will be a wipe?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:19 pm

On both servers, you can't attack an enemy player unless their PvP flag is on.

On the PvP server, your PvP flag is on if you're in a "contested" or "enemy" zone. Your PvP flag is off if you are in you are in a "friendly" zone. Your PvP flag comes on when you type the command /pvp or when you attack enemy players or NPC's designated as being a part of a faction tied to the faction(s) of enemy players.

In other words, if you're in an enemy zone you can be attacked, but you can't attack them unless they attack you or type the /pvp command. In a contested zone, anyone can attack everyone. And in your friendly zone, you reverse roles with the enemy in the first scenario of this paragraph.

On the PvE server, your PvP flag is on if you type the command /pvp or when you attack enemy players or NPC's designated as being a part of a faction tied to the faction(s) of enemy players (if you're raiding Ogrimmar and you attack an NPC guard there, you'll be flagged for PvP).

Now, when battlegrounds come into play, there will be zones set aside to work like the PvP server's version of a contested zone. However, they will have special features to add to the experience. They've mentioned the possibility of siege engines and catapults and maybe towns and keeps to capture, but they haven't been very forthcoming with specifics. They wanted to include these before retail, but Vivendi, the publisher, is demanding the game be released in its current state. Battlegrounds will be implemented, however, on both types of servers some time after release. The current news is that battlegrounds are in "internal testing."

Now, as for the major problems with the PvP server, it goes along with the "if you're in an enemy zone you can be attacked, but you can't attack them unless they attack you or type the /pvp" part. I played Alliance when I tried out the PvP server. And my foray into the Barrens was a little frustrating, to say the least:

A group of three of us were running around looking for some good small group vs. small group action. We couldn't find anyone in Ashenvale, so we went to the Barrens. When we ran into a horde member, he stopped and stared at us, immune to any attack without his flag on. We waited to see if he would be adventurous and offer the pleasure of a battle, but nope. So we ran off. But he followed us. No doubt screaming over LocalDefense that the "ALLIANCE IS HERE!!!1"

After five minutes of him following us we turned around and started circling him doing /chicken. Five minutes of that and we moved on again. And we finally ran into some more Horde members. About three of them. A little lower than us, but they outnumbered us anyway, with the other guy still following us. So we backed up and got ready for a battle. A few minutes passed and they just stood there staring at us. Oooooookay.

So we ran off again. Everyone from the Horde followed us again. We couldn't attack them, but they could attack us at any time. So we had to watch our backs. After a while we stopped and /chickened the whole group. That's when the cavalry arrived. There must have been another ten of them. And, as expected, that's when they all put on PvP and slaughtered us. And we couldn't do much about it.

But you know what we could have done on the PvE server?

/v rasp

And then made a quick run back to Ashenvale.

Another problem is combined camping of corpses and graveyards. If you die in an enemy zone and large groups camp your corpses and the graveyard, you can't resurrect at the graveyard or at your bodies without getting slaughtered. When you try to hearthstone out, you get killed because people are there when you resurrect. About the only people that can get away are mages with blink and rogues who get lucky.

If you try to run to a graveyard in another zone to resurrect there, you end up right back at the graveyard in the zone where you died, no matter what zone your ghost is in (though, there could have been a ninja patch that changed this; I need to check that, but I doubt it's different).

On PvE, if you're done raiding, all you have to do is wait for your PvP to turn off. Then you can hearthstone out.

I find on the PvE server that people are more willing to raid enemy zones. That can make things a lot more fun, sometimes, if you're looking for some PvP. On the PvP server, the fighting revolves around corpses and graveyards. On the PvE server, if people get tired of fighting around those areas, they can wait until their PvE flag drops, then resurrect and run off somewhere else, maybe split up to create diversions so they can break apart enemy groups and sneak away to set up a new strategy somewhere.

What I see as a minor problem is merely the fact that you can't find any mid-level zones that aren't contested on the PvP server. So when you're levelling from about 18 to 20 on, depending on when you start taking your first contested zone seriously as a place to level, you're liable to gankage. And questing can be tough if you have to make your way through enemy players all day.

But, in all honesty, that's a preference of playstyle.

PvE is not without it's frustrations. It can be carebearish, at times. Hell, I wanted to fight some Night Elf in Ashenvale yesterday, but I couldn't speak the same language and he wasn't catching the gist of my gestures. We were both the same level, but he didn't want to fight. So I pointed him in the direction of the gate to the Barrens and watched him get slaughtered by orc guards, /laughed and went on my way.

With battlegrounds coming, however, you can get a contested-zone-like atmosphere on the PvE server and what I see as a better enemy territory PvP experience, as well. At least when I want to fight people, I know I can go to those areas and get it--be they instanced or whatever the hell Blizzard has in store. I just hope they do it right. If they don't do it right and battlegrounds suck, or they never finish their "internal testing," then PvP might be better simply for the contested areas. But I don't see Blizzard going back on a major system. Especially when they've kept and are keeping ones they've planned that people didn't even like that much.

We'll see, though. *shrugs* I'm still for the PvE server, either way.
Stix

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:49 pm

Tough choice. So it sounds like the major difference between the two is that on PvE you can never be attacked no matter where you are unless you have the PVP flag on... sounds fair, but only because you're not allowed to kill non-flagged enemies in enemy territory, which is really lame. I understand it to an extent (so hordes don't go marauding through newbie areas killing everyone in their path) but it's still pretty lame.

I was on a raid last night in orc territory. As a rogue I was going around picking off flagged horde here and there but there were still a lot of non-flagged that I couldn't touch. This was really stupid when there was a group of 3 horde with only one flagged... I could only attack him but his 2 friends were able to attack me. It's a pretty flawed system.

I haven't even reached a level yet where I would need to be in contested lands, so I have no experience with that yet. It would suck if people were camping quest sites to kill small groups that came along.

The reason I chose PvP was because I thought there would be true anything-goes PvP as in the early days of UO... meaning anyone could attack anyone outside of town. This isn't true anywhere in the game. For instance, I could never attack another night elf. Of course, in a level-based game this wouldn't be very good anyway. Even the current PvP isn't good in a level-based game. Maybe PvE would be the way to go.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:04 pm

Monster wrote:Tough choice. So it sounds like the major difference between the two is that on PvE you can never be attacked no matter where you are unless you have the PVP flag on... sounds fair, but only because you're not allowed to kill non-flagged enemies in enemy territory, which is really lame. I understand it to an extent (so hordes don't go marauding through newbie areas killing everyone in their path) but it's still pretty lame.

It's lame, but most people in enemy territory are there for /pvp anyway. Only once have I run into a pretty big group that wasn't flagged for PvP. And they only did that because they were waiting for reinforcements. Once they got there, they all put on their flags (well, the ones that weren't AFK when the others got there did, at least, hehe).

I was on a raid last night in orc territory. As a rogue I was going around picking off flagged horde here and there but there were still a lot of non-flagged that I couldn't touch. This was really stupid when there was a group of 3 horde with only one flagged... I could only attack him but his 2 friends were able to attack me. It's a pretty flawed system.

That's a good example of what I don't like about the PvP server.

I haven't even reached a level yet where I would need to be in contested lands, so I have no experience with that yet. It would suck if people were camping quest sites to kill small groups that came along.

People often do. Sometimes it can be fun if it's even numbers, but when it's not it really sucks.

The reason I chose PvP was because I thought there would be true anything-goes PvP as in the early days of UO... meaning anyone could attack anyone outside of town. This isn't true anywhere in the game. For instance, I could never attack another night elf. Of course, in a level-based game this wouldn't be very good anyway. Even the current PvP isn't good in a level-based game. Maybe PvE would be the way to go.

Yeah, none of the servers are a true "anything goes" sort of server. A few people have wanted them, but Blizzard hasn't given in to the request, though they did give into the request for RP servers, so they might later down the road.
Stix

Postby Monster on Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:47 pm

Yeah, but what does "RP" mean anyway? It's not like they can enforce roleplaying... just names. And even then, it's someone's idea of RP names that gets enforced. I have to wonder if they would let me use "Shadowstride" for my night elf rogue, or would I be forced to use something generic like "Ellarhaimia" (just made that up, pretty easy, huh)?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:57 pm

Stix

Postby Monster on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:12 am

Ok, so how are you supposed to RP in WoW? The game itself makes anachronistic references (a LOT of them). Warcraft has always been about light fantasy with lots of goofiness thrown in. There's not a whole lot you could do that would be out of character, besides talking about real world stuff. Seems like the RP server is nothing but a PvE server with name enforcing and an ooc restriction on the General chat (which usually doesn't happen that much anyway).
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:21 pm

Soooo, does anyone who's actually IN the clan want to discuss these plans with us? It would be nice to have a solid plan going in so we don't end up like we are now, spread out across three servers.

Are we going to go PvE, PvP, or RP (for some reason)? Does everyone want to be alliance, or are we going to have characters on both sides? I plan on having a night elf rogue as my main character.

It's especially important to decide now what to do if we want to collaborate with Stix's clan come release day, so he doesn't need to split time between servers.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:42 pm

RP!
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:24 pm

PvP. Alliance. Nuff Said.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:59 pm

Our guild did the same thing voting on server type, timezone and which side we want to concentrate on first (we want to play both Alliance and Horde on separate servers eventually). Here's what the votes were:

4 PvE
1 PvP
1 Doesn't Care

5 West
1 East

5 Alliance
1 Horde

A few of them didn't vote.

My vote was PvE, West, Alliance.

I'll bring up the thing about Mountain timezone being in-between those on the west and east coasts, but I think the one in Japan would rather play West and that's why most of us voted West. If they don't want to play on Mountain, and you guys do, I'll just split time between servers.

I don't want to impose their decisions on you guys or anything. It's entirely up to you what you want to do. I'd prefer being on the same server, but we don't have to be. Tempest, from Nox, would also like to be on the same server as you guys, though. =)
Stix

Postby Stix on Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:39 am

All right. I talked with my friend in Japan and his response was that it won't really matter what timezone we play in, as he'll still lag like hell. So Mountain is fine with him. I'm still waiting for a response from everyone else about that. But since we have people all over (4 eastern, 3 central, 1 mountain, 2 western), I'm fairly positive they won't care.

Preference of PvE and PvP server is a different matter, though. I'll try to get on your guys' server tomorrow to see what you guys prefer, since it seems everyone but Monster is too busy playing to check the forums. ;-P My guild heavily favors PvE right now, though.

And something I wanted to reply to...

Monster wrote:Ok, so how are you supposed to RP in WoW? The game itself makes anachronistic references (a LOT of them). Warcraft has always been about light fantasy with lots of goofiness thrown in. There's not a whole lot you could do that would be out of character, besides talking about real world stuff. Seems like the RP server is nothing but a PvE server with name enforcing and an ooc restriction on the General chat (which usually doesn't happen that much anyway).

The anachromisms are consistent, for the most part, though. The franchise has always been that way with gnomish and goblin technology. Which means you can feed RP off the fact that it's supported because it's actually in the game and a part of the storyline.
Stix

Postby Stix on Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:01 am

All right. I made a character on 38, Helgrim, so I could talk to you guys a bit about the server type you want to play on. I'll catch you on tomorrow sometime.
Stix

Postby Monster on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:44 am

Me name on 38 be Grimshot, and Shoruken is Cronk.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:17 pm

Just found out that Kelek and his brother will be joining us as well!
Monster
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to World of Warcraft