Booooo (fishing changes)

Talk about things like elves and gnomes. (It's cooler than it sounds.)

Booooo (fishing changes)

Postby Monster on Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:05 pm

Remember how I mentioned you could make good money in Moonglade and Booty Bay with high fishing? Well Blizzard, as all MMORPG developers do, nerfed it by making it so you can't fish in those two places anymore until they "fix" them (ie make it worthless to fish there).

So a few losers complain and it gets nerfed. Why should I fish, now? They are probably going to remove the only goal for it (making good money). Who the hell wants to fish for two hours just to maybe find a couple of weak green items? Whatever.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... post104174

They claim they did it because people were macroing fishing (which I see no possible way to do short of having a plug-in specifically written to work with the game) but if this is true why not just ban stuff like that? There's no way they can "fix" fishing so that someone can't macro using a plug-in. It's already macro proof beyond that. My guess is they will nerf fishing so it won't be profitable (ie you won't be catching many green items anymore). I'm just talking based on experience, though. Maybe Blizzard will surprise everyone.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:35 am

Too early to say if it's a nerf or not.
Stix

Postby Monster on Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:48 pm

Oh man, I totally called it. They nerfed it... hard. In true MMORPG developer tradition, they took a hammer to something that needed fine tuning:

Monetary value of fished items sold to vendors has been significantly reduced.
Chances of acquiring green weapons and armor from fishing have been reduced.
Fishing profession now requires a minimum character level, like the other professions do. Any character who already has a fishing profession past the intended level will not be affected.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:27 pm

Don't worry, my fear got nerfed, and our soul stone bug remains. Fishing is nothing compared tot he gimp of a warlock I am! (that's the only brightside to the patch).
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:09 pm

How are soulstones bugged? I never had any problems with them during the open beta and I haven't heard any warlocks complaining about them except you.

The only thing I'm really unhappy with is that the "nerfs" to major CC spells like fear, polymorph and sap also affect PvE. They were warranted for PvP, but not PvE. In PvP, CC spells were overpowered; someone could be polymorphed several times before the duration was diminished enough for the spell to be near useless on that person. Now, it's only a couple casts, which is a lot better. But for PvE it really sucks. Only the first cast is really useful because of reduced durations on a lot of the named and elite mobs.

I'm not sure about the change to fear for warlock. It needed to be reduced, that's for sure. When I played warlock during open beta, even I thought the duration was too long. But I'm not sure if the new duration is too short or not, as I'm not playing one currently.

On fishing... Some people were making too much money for how low of a level they were. The way it worked may not have broken the economy a few months after release, when most people will start reaching 60, but it did affect the early release economy negatively. Seeing level 15 people with 100g just isn't right. Enchanters who jumped to get their fishing up and then safely fish to their hearts desire in safe areas made a lot of money for their level. But seeing as there's now a level requirement, I'm not sure decreasing the frequency of obtaining green items was needed. I'm not certain mainly because I've never bothered with fishing, so I don't know first-hand how often a person was getting green items. For all I know the change *could* be warranted, if the frequency was very high before.
Stix

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:44 pm

Soulstones, when you use to self rez, you probably never bothered to take a look at your stats. All of your equipment stats become unaccounted for and thusly you have to strip naked and reequip to regain all your int, sta, spr, str points again. It's a retarded waste of time and a bug.

On fear. Warlocks need a spell that gives a chance for DOT's to materialize. But you know what forget fear because I just spent 5 gold getting off the lame destruction talents and into affliction. Fear + Exhaustion + DOTS + running like hell for the win.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:03 pm

I often used the soulstone on me and it wasn't doing that in open beta. Sounds like a new bug that probably arose with undocumented changes.

On fear. Warlocks need a spell that gives a chance for DOT's to materialize. But you know what forget fear because I just spent 5 gold getting off the lame destruction talents and into affliction. Fear + Exhaustion + DOTS + running like hell for the win.

You're right. And I wasn't denying that. But the duration of fear before this patch was more than what was needed to do that.
Stix

Postby Wynn on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:24 pm

Stix, when are you joining NNN?
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:55 pm

I read that you could make around 3 gold every 1-2 hours with fishing. If someone wanted to spend 10 hours fishing and get 30 gold, more power to 'em, I say. We need something to balance out the ridiculous AH prices anyway.

Stix and his clan are playing on our server... add him to your friends list.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:57 pm

Wynn, I have a charater saved to join NNN with later, but I'm not ready to play it, yet. I'm concentrating on my mage and pally right now.

Monster, 10 hours for 30g is too much for how low of level some people were doing that. Seriously. I can't even get 30g on my mage in 10 hours at level 43 without intense work. I could if I had a couple of my friends come with me to clean out SM as many times as we could in 10 hours. But that's much more work than sitting there casting, watching the bobber and right clicking when it moves in the safety of Booty Bay.
Stix

Postby Monster on Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:20 am

That's just the thing... all they needed to do was add a level restriction, but even then it shouldn't be too much of a restriction. There should be a reward for fishing other than just fish, after all (in a video game that is). Why shouldn't someone who sits in one place all day doing nothing but clicking make more money? They are likely having less fun, they're getting no experience, they aren't hanging out with friends, they're doing nothing but clicking on a bobber. That should be rewarded, otherwise it's totally useless. Just like in UO, fishing was absolutely useless until they added unique items you could catch and treasure maps. Fishing in video games is always about the perks, never about the fish. Hell, even in video games that are ONLY about fishing you still have the ability to catch bigger and better fish, and there's more to it than clicking.

So now they give a level restriction, then they make the amount of green items you catch much less frequent, then they reduce the sell price of those items. Hell, why don't they just make you lose experience while fishing too? It couldn't be more useless at this point. Why would I fish to make money now when killing stuff would probably make money much faster, AND it gives me experience?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:16 pm

Monster wrote:Stix and his clan are playing on our server... add him to your friends list.

I know. I've seen him and talked to him.

About fishing, there's no risk to fishing, so the reward should be relatively low. There is a cost involved in fishing though, and that is time. Like Monster says, there is no xp gain during the time you spend fishing. The danger is if someone can create a fishing bot (and I have no doubt that someone can or already has), then they can get lots of money and special items when they go to bed, while still maintaining the same xp rate when they play.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:40 pm

First of all, there's no risk to anything in this game (except for venturing into areas the devs don't want you to go). There's no more risk to combat than there is to fishing, save for more running.

Secondly, I don't see how a fishing bot could do much damage anyway, since there is a limited inventory. In any case, it's bad design to punish everyone just because a few people make macros. The best solution for macroing I've seen on the boards is to actually (*gasp*) make fishing more interactive, so it's more like a game instead of an interface. I could make a fishing game that's just as interactive in Windows. Create a folder full of fish icons, then open it up. Wheeeee!
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:54 am

Combat has risk. If you die, it costs you a lot of time and your equipment takes damage. Even if you run to corpse, your equipment takes damage. Fishing is perfectly safe.. nothing unexpected can happen, and you never lose anything.
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:07 am

Unless you're in PvP and someone ganks you :twisted:
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Next

Return to World of Warcraft