Cosmos

Talk about things like elves and gnomes. (It's cooler than it sounds.)

Cosmos

Postby Wynn on Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:22 pm

If you haven't installed it yet, what are you waiting for?
www.cosmosui.org

I personally am running the "Alpha Lite" installation, which is the daily builds. I know others are using the beta, which is released less frequently after extra testing. Either way, it adds a lot of nifty features to the UI. However, there have also been reports of degraded performance, although I haven't had problems myself.
Wynn

Postby Wynn on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:21 pm

http://www.fukt.bth.se/~k/wow/cosmos/ol ... readme.txt

Instructions
------------

Make sure your Interface directory in WoW is empty.

Unpack the Cosmos zip file to your WoW directory.

Make sure that the Interface directory contains two directories, "AddOns" and "FrameXML".

Troubleshooting
---------------

Make sure you have the latest version of Cosmos.

If problems still occur, delete the contents of the WDB directory.

If that doesn't help, rename your WTF directory to something different (like WTF2).

If that doesn't help either, go to the forums and CHECK FOR POSTS THAT DEAL WITH YOUR PROBLEM.

If you can't find any such problems detailed (and still get the problem), post about it.

Forum URL:
http://www.cosmosui.org/forums/

Sites to download Cosmos from
-----------------------------

ALWAYS TRY COSMOSUI.ORG FIRST!

That's the only way you can be somewhat sure that virii
doesn't get to your computer from Cosmos.

CosmosUI download URL:
http://www.cosmosui.org/cosmos/

If that version does not work, I (sometimes) provide "fixes" and updates for people here:
http://www.fukt.bth.se/~k/wow/cosmos/oldcosmos/
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:38 pm

On a minor side note, I can't stand it when pseudo-intellectuals use "virii" instead of "viruses". Virii is a term invented/used by computer geeks who barely have a grasp of the language outside of a computer window and end every sentence with a ";" instead of a period or some other proper punctuation (true story, BTW).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=viruses&r=67

As for modern English usage evidence, may I submit that the plural for "walrus" is not "walrii".

(Sorry, old pet peeve come back to haunt me.)
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:56 pm

I agree, but I can look beyond nits and grasp the concepts that the author is trying to get across. I don't expect professional level quality from these people. Just a nifty tool.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:12 pm

I can look beyond nits too, but nothing in that document explains how to keep your settings. It just tells you to delete stuff out of 3 directories. I merely decided to go on my short tirade because the document you posted was mostly useless to me.

In any case, the supposed solution to the problem is to "go into your savedvariables.old file, copy the map notes entries, and past them into your current savedvariables file."

Unfortunately I don't see any difference between the two files when I view them.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:32 pm

I tried to find out how to keep your settings by reading the forums. There is a huge lack of information out there. I think I'll have to mess around with it myself to find out. Then I can be TEH HEROE OF TEH COSMOZ!12!@
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:43 pm

Verily. I'm amazed at the lack of documentation for it. Seriously, I use more QC in my .bat files. If I made a new UI I would have everything documented with screenshots. Not bragging, it's just the way I operate! I can't stand it when developers... ANY developers... leave things undocumented, without even putting in a tooltip or anything.

I read through this guide to see how hard it would be to make my own UI, and I learned how why each UI stops working after a patch. In the future I'll just fix Cosmos (or whatever UI) myself and not worry about them destroying my settings by forcing me to delete everything.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:50 pm

Hmm, maybe not. You have to change the build info in every .toc. Maybe I can thow something together to do it automatically.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:09 pm

Brain is melting. I can find software that lets you search and replace in multiple files, but I wanted to create a batch file to do the same thing. However, I'm having trouble finding commands that will copy a numeric string from one file into a variable (or file) and then recall that number, replacing the old number throughout multiple documents. It seems like it would be possible, and is advanced for a batch file I know, but still...
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:15 pm

Blizzard posted today that in the next patch they will support addons saving variables that will be maintained over patches.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1#post7910

Blizzard also posted today that in the next patch they will allow addons to keep running even if their version is not up to date. There's no guarentee the addons will keep working, but they wont automatically be rejected by WoW.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1#post7872

These should address the biggest problems we had with cosmos when the last patch was released.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:23 pm

Nice. I guess Blizzard listens every once in a while at least!
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:43 pm

Monster wrote:Brain is melting. I can find software that lets you search and replace in multiple files, but I wanted to create a batch file to do the same thing. However, I'm having trouble finding commands that will copy a numeric string from one file into a variable (or file) and then recall that number, replacing the old number throughout multiple documents. It seems like it would be possible, and is advanced for a batch file I know, but still...

Here you go. I just whipped this up.
munger.bat - Copy and paste the below into a munger.bat file. If you run it with a number, it will set the version of all *.toc files to the value specified. It changes every TOC file under the current directory, recursively. It saves a copy of the current TOC file into a .old file in case this fucks something up. The only side effect is that this will add some spaces on the end of some lines. It shouldn't matter, though.
Code: Select all
@ECHO off
IF "%1"=="" GOTO usage

FOR /R %%z IN (*.toc) DO (
    COPY nul 1> nul 2> %%z.new

FOR /F "tokens=1-3* usebackq" %%a IN ("%%z") DO (
        IF EXIST "%%z.new" (
            IF "%%a %%b"=="## Interface:" (
                IF "%%c"=="%1" (
                    ECHO %%z is up to date.
                    ERASE "%%z.new"
                ) ELSE (
                    ECHO Updating version of %%z from %%c to %1...
                    (ECHO %%a %%b %1) >> "%%z.new"
                )
            ) ELSE (
                (ECHO %%a %%b %%c %%d) >> "%%z.new"
            )
        )
    )

IF EXIST "%%z.new" (
        MOVE "%%z" "%%z.old"
        MOVE "%%z.new" "%%z"
    )
)
GOTO quit

:usage
ECHO Usage: munger <version number>
ECHO Example: munger 4114

:quit

revert.bat - Copy and paste the below into a revert.bat file. If you run it, it will put back all the .old files into the .toc files. Use this if the munger above breaks stuff.
Code: Select all
@echo off
FOR /R %%z in (*.toc) do (
    IF EXIST "%%z.old" (
        ECHO Reverting %%z...
        MOVE "%%z.old" "%%z"
    )
)

Edit: fixed code
Last edited by Wynn on Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:45 pm

Nice. Too bad it's not needed anymore. Well, not really too bad. You know what I mean.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:54 pm

I know what you mean, but
a) You can use this now to make sure your TOCs are updated
b) we dont know for sure that it wont be necessary going forward.. hasn't been done yet
Last edited by Wynn on Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:58 pm

Oh yeah, that's right. They like to talk, don't they?
Monster
Site Admin

Next

Return to World of Warcraft