Still Playing?

Talk about things like elves and gnomes. (It's cooler than it sounds.)

Still Playing?

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:40 pm

I've been away alot lately, and it seems so has everyone else? The last few times I've been on, the entire clan is offline. Where is all you foos!!?
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Postby DarkViruz on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:09 pm

Me and Xanath are still playing 24/7. Hado's taken a very very very long break of about 3 weeks now maybe.

But I suppose we don't count.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:52 pm

Been playing my pally (Lillume) exclusively for a while now.
Stix

Postby Wynn on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:43 am

I'm still playing. BTW, the clan list lets you see how long since the person last logged in.

Suckage: last night there was a 500-person queue to get onto Proudmoore. It took me an hour to log in. That's fucking ridiculous.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:58 am

This happens to me on all EQ-like MMORPG's (someone thought up a brilliant descriptor for the genre... Mechanical MMORPG... which I have adopted as the name). I get tired of the grind eventually and get bored, though I admit I thought it would have taken me longer with WoW. Though I wouldn't mind getting into some PVP, especially battlegrounds. I just haven't had any desire to play the past couple of weeks, plus I got really behind on my playing of other games while I was playing WoW non-stop and now am having to catch up. :) There are just too many great games out right now.

As I've always said, I don't believe levels belong in an MMORPG. It's worthless design when you can't even play with your friends because it wouldn't be worth anything for them to play with you. I think one of the main reasons I got bored so quick is because I was usually playing solo.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:59 am

Wynn, I guess our server is catching up to the other popular servers. The guys at Penny Arcade retracted their game of the year award from WoW because of shit like that.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:57 pm

Apparently they are having server problems, and the queue was because they temporarily lowered the max server population until they can fix it.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... l&T=874660
Wynn

Postby Wynn on Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:04 pm

Also, something to consider.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... post887946

[Character migration]
We plan to offer a 1 time migration from high population realms to low peopulation realms to ease the overcrowding. It is currently undergoing implementation/testing. More details to follow.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:17 pm

That's good, I suppose... hopefully it won't just make the lower populated servers crowded.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:27 pm

What I don't understand is why they haven't given each server their own separate database servers, yet. I also don't understand why they don't have a test server to mess around on with things like these. Those are my only big annoyances, at the moment.

This talk about GM abuse is an isolated incident on a specific server. And it wasn't even GM abuse, it was forum moderator abuse by an employee who has done it since before World of Warcraft was even in development. Blizzard just hadn't done anything about it until now because the past abuses were merely suspicious and not obvious, like this was obvious.

I love PA to death and they're right that server issues should have been addressed before release, but it's not like VU didn't pressure Blizzard into rushing the game in order to compete with EQ2 and get it on the shelves at a time when they could make the most money off it. The guys at PA do seem somewhat detached from the game, though. They didn't notice that the AH and mail systems were working much, much better after the 16 hour downtime, even though different issues such as server crashes started cropping up. This is going to happen in MMO's. Some things might be fixed while other things break. I've never seen an MMO that hasn't had a problem with other areas after they fix different things. This could be alleviated with a test server, admittedly. And maybe I'm just unlucky with my choice of MMO's, but even then I still have never seen fixes without additional problems. Even in UO, which was much, much simpler than the more modern MMO's out there.

So PA can retract their award if they want, it's their choice, but I don't think they have enough of a clue about MMO's to be making judgments like these. Having read their comic pretty often over the past several years, the longest I can remember them playing an MMO was a couple weeks, or longer during a beta. That was before this two-month stint with WoW, however. I'd challenge them to play the next big MMO for two months after its release and count the problems there and then do the same thing to it.

And, oh, Tycho made the statement, "If this happened in Galaxies, or Dark Age, or AO, of course it'd be everybody everywhere piling on. But it's Blizzard, and since they made a few good games years ago now they can do whatever the fuck they want to." People did rag on SOE for Galaxies and still do. And he's saying people won't do it to Blizzard. But isn't that sort of a contradiction when he, one of the bigger critics out there, is doing so?

I've no problem with Gabe's statement, though. I agree with him. Just Tycho.

But enough ranting about that... What I am happy with is that at least Blizzard is trying to fix the issues, whereas other MMO companies that I have experience with have let things rot and been completely and totally silent about the issue until they release a patch six weeks later that half fixes the issue. Blizzard makes a post at least once a week updating people on what went wrong and they at least give people free time when they fuck up (two more days were added to my account just today).
Last edited by Stix on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stix

Postby Wynn on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:37 pm

I think he's claiming that he is bucking the trend by publicly voicing his disappointment in Blizzard. He's expecting that a lot of fanbois try to argue with what he's saying just because they are Blizzard.

Just because service outages and poor performance are commonly seen in MMORPGs does not make it okay. If the issues were preventable through some reasonable means, then they should be prevented.

I think they must have some particular server scheme that has resulted in digging themselves in a bit of a hole. They need a better scalable architecture that allows for servicing a huge number of customers. You should be able to have a bank of CPUs in reserve that can serve as login/game world/mail/database servers.. whatever is needed. And if you still run out of power, add more hardware. Granted it's not that easy, but it should be! Some day.
Wynn

Postby Stix on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:37 pm

On other things... The quests start to get better as time goes on. Especially 50+ (or so everyone that I know who is 50+ has said). Levelling from 40-50 is tough, but it's all downhill after that.

Also, instances can be very fun if you take the time to get a group together for them. Two of my friends and I managed to do the Uldaman boss on our own in the low 40's, a feat we proved not impossible! Probably the most fun I have had, so far. I'm looking to go through Zul'farrak in a couple levels. And I want to do Razorefen Downs just out of curiosity and for the quest I have to kill the boss.
Stix

Postby Stix on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:42 pm

Wynn wrote:I think they must have some particular server scheme that has resulted in digging themselves in a bit of a hole. They need a better scalable architecture that allows for servicing a huge number of customers. You should be able to have a bank of CPUs in reserve that can serve as login/game world/mail/database servers.. whatever is needed. And if you still run out of power, add more hardware. Granted it's not that easy, but it should be! Some day.

I think that's what I'm trying to say. "It's not that easy!" It's just that people try to make statements or insinuate that it is that easy. I don't disagree that the initial setup was stupid, but at least Blizzard isn't sitting on their asses, picking their noses (their own or their employers') and watching the server lights blink.
Stix

Return to World of Warcraft