Aggravation

Talk about things like elves and gnomes. (It's cooler than it sounds.)

Aggravation

Postby Monster on Fri May 13, 2005 7:51 am

That's the word that best describes my coming back to WoW last night. I don't know why I decided to check it out again... I guess I was bored and thought it might be fun.

First of all, it took over a half hour to patch it. It doesn't matter what size a patch is, it always takes at least five minutes for the patcher to go through every file. And I had to download at least 4 patches. And while this is going on, you can't cancel.

So once I finally got past the asinine patcher, I had to reinstall Cosmos (after remembering after 2-3 failed attempts that Cosmos has to be in the WoW folder... nice job there deciding to have your program say "Done" instead of giving an error message when it doesn't work, geniuses). Granted, I can't really blame Blizzard for Cosmos issues, but it added to the frustration.

Then once I finally get in the game I find that I logged out in the inn near the AH in IronForge. Holy shit man, the lag is at least twice as bad as it was before. Running toward the bank makes everything freeze for like 30 seconds. I tried to catch a gryphon out of there and it takes like 2 minutes to get a damn dialogue box. It's pathetic! I haven't seen lag this bad in an MMORPG since the AO beta.

Also, I found out that everyone in NNN has been kicked. What's up with that? Roy (Ledeanna) is the only one left (besides Cronk, though Rob plays on a different server now, last I heard). Even his alts were kicked. The only reason I knew what happened was because Roy told me. Poor Roy, being in a guild all by his lonesome.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby DarkViruz on Fri May 13, 2005 10:17 am

At which point you decided to go play guild wars because it's actually fun?
Hooray!
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Wynn on Fri May 13, 2005 10:55 am

Hooray!
Wynn

Postby Kemplar on Fri May 13, 2005 11:51 am

I started playing again also but I moved to a low population PVP server. Its pretty fun. I play Horde on the Bloodscalp server. I have a lvl 22 Tauren Shaman. My brother also play's on that server. I still have my Proudmoore characters except my hunter Killian. One night in a sleep deprived stated I accidentally deleted him instead of an alt I was trying to delete. So I have a 32 Dwarf Paladin and a 23 Night Elf Hunter and a 18 Human Warrior on Proudmoore. Anyway if you want to play let me know.
Kemplar

Postby Monster on Fri May 13, 2005 1:24 pm

Maybe so. Have you thought about getting Guild Wars?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Kemplar on Fri May 13, 2005 2:32 pm

I may get Guild Wars someday but I don’t have plans to buy it anytime soon. If you keep playing WoW I'll probably be on Bloodscalp character name is Minotauren. I may make an Orc Warrior named Tasman though. So message me if you want. I'd be willing to go play on Proudmore also.
Kemplar

Postby Monster on Fri May 13, 2005 5:11 pm

Ok, I made a shaman on Bloodscalp named Mooderous. I added your two characters to my friends list.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Sat May 14, 2005 5:04 pm

Not many people were playing and it's hard to play end-game WoW with only a few people, so most people joined Lunacy for a while. Then that broke apart as a few key people quit the game, so most of us joined a different guild with people that actually play (Wynn went to a different guild, though). You'd need to ask Wynn if anyone was "kicked" from NNN, though. But I'm pretty sure everyone willingly left.

Yes, Ironforge lags. There's some new optimization that's in place on the test server that makes the loading infinitely better, though.

BG's are in on the test server. Despite the queue problems for getting in, they are mad fun. There's one BG that's a small CTF. Reminds me a little bit of Nox. Then there's a big BG with lots of things to do all over--capture mines, capture towers, kill a raid mob, collect armor scaps to upgrade the NPC's on your side, collect rams and bring them to the stables to prepare NPC cavalry charges, find and rescue your side's air commanders so they can lead an air strike, etc., etc. Very cool, all around.

Some classes are getting fixed a bit. Infernals now last for at least five minutes, no matter what. And some talents are getting buffed a bit. Good changes all around.

Minor things are aggravating. But I've never played a game that didn't have its issues that were aggravating. But I guess if that's enough to make you give up on it, go ahead.
Stix

Postby Monster on Mon May 16, 2005 5:56 am

First of all, people had to have been kicked because Roy's alts were kicked from the guild. He didn't remove them.

Secondly, I never said I was giving up on the game. I already gave up on it for a while for many more reasons than the ones listed. Right now I'm playing Horde so I don't have to worry about IF (Orgrimmar is not as bad, at least on the server I'm playing on). Seriously, there's no excuse for that kinda lag this many months into a released MMORPG. The lag makes the game unplayable when you're in IF, IMO.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Mon May 16, 2005 7:13 am

Well, then you'll have to ask Wynn and whoever else had the ability to kick people what's up with that.

Anyway, what do you do in IF besides bank, browse the AH, mail, craft, train, pickup quests and chat anyway? Well, horde can try to raid it, but that's the only real thing besides the others listed. To me, that's not as much a priority as making sure the lag doesn't hit places like instances and major PvP/questing zones. And on the test server, BG's have run smoothly, for the most part. The only hiccups I had were from loading and that's due to my RAM. Other issues with BG's weren't performance-related.

DAoC had lag well after its release--sometimes an RvR zone would crash if there were more people than the cluster could handle. And that was three years after release, even. Certain games simply call for more data transfer. Comparing something to, say, UO is kind of silly given the vast difference in what's being relayed between client and server and what the server has to deal with.

Improvements can't be made overnight. Some games might take a shorter amount of time to work out those issues because they have less players and/or don't require as much data transfer/loading. Others have taken a few years. I expect it will be a year or two before WoW is at the point where lag in certain areas only pop up in extraordinary circumstances. If you don't find that acceptible--well, your choice/opinion.

Sidenote: Lag in Org is less, but I think it's due to less players. Sometimes I get a bit of loading on the server I play for Horde (Azgalor) during peak hours. I think the fact that IF has a ceiling and lots of architecture is also a factor, in addition to Alliance outnumbering the Horde. Also, Proudmoore turned out to be a very highly populated server. And with the Australians all over it, it means one long peak time from 7PM EST to like 10PM AUST. But the loading in IF on the test server was about 10x better than what it's been on the live server. So I hope it means for better optimization next patch. If it's still bad after the patch, then it may actually be a database issue or Blizzard might not be letting us have something from the test server build.
Stix

Postby Wynn on Mon May 16, 2005 11:12 am

OK already. I kicked some alts who hadn't logged in for 2 months to encourage them to join us in the new guild if they came back. I did not kick any officers, so NNN could be reformed if people showed back up. I didn't really expect anybody to come back, or care that much if they did. If I'm an ass for that, all I can say is MY BAD.

IF lags like a bitch, can't argue with that one. Orgrimarr isn't as bad, but still lags. Obviously if you go to a low population server or a low population faction then lag will be better when you are in town. It's not too big a deal as the majority of your time is spent outside of town. You'd think they'd do better about streaming models into the client. Show placeholder models with a blank gray texture. Have an option to disable enchantment glowies... there's probably a million things they could to do to help improve it.

That said, I think they really needed to dedicate as much dev time as posisble to battlegrounds. That's a game-defining feature that should be priority 1.
Last edited by Wynn on Mon May 16, 2005 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Mon May 16, 2005 1:32 pm

I never called anyone an ass for kicking anyone. Besides... "toons"? BLAH! I thought you never played EQ. ("Toon" and "ding" are small pet peeves of mine... I think EQ was a blight on MMO gaming and I hate the terms that were popularized by it).
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Mon May 16, 2005 1:34 pm

I know nobody called anyone an ass. I was just responding to that voice in the back of your head. YOU KNOW IT'S THERE.

P.S. edited the toon
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Mon May 16, 2005 2:21 pm

I am currently wearing pants.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Shoruk3n on Mon May 16, 2005 9:59 pm

Anyone who has participated in PvP in Hillsbrad will tell you that the loading needs optimization in more than just IF. Even with a gig of ram, I get a solid 5-10 seconds of absolute 0 fps while loading on a first encounter. To me, that is totally unacceptable regardless of what stage of development your game is in.

That said, I still can't stop myself from wanting to get more HKs....
OMFG WoW!
Xfire username = Shoruk3n
Shoruk3n

Next

Return to World of Warcraft