Battlegrounds are live

Talk about things like elves and gnomes. (It's cooler than it sounds.)

Battlegrounds are live

Postby Wynn on Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:28 am

The patch went live yesterday. On the first night, some alliance members were reporting 1 hour+ wait lines in the queue to get in battlegrounds.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:38 am

SIGH.

Do they not have multiple instances? Or do you mean there were 1 hour + waits to get in the servers so they could try out battlegrounds?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:33 pm

They have multiple instances of battlegrounds. I don't know how it works since I didn't try it. It's possible there is a cap on the number of active instances allowed. It's also possible that they prevent new BG instances from being created until the existing ones are full. That means if there are not enough horde to balance out the BG, alliance players have to sit in a queue and wait.

There was no queue to login to the server that I saw. But lag was high for most of the evening as people were downloading the patch. My guild still went through the first part of Molten Core without any issues once the lag calmed down around 8pm.
Wynn

Postby DarkViruz on Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:42 am

I sold my account for 150$. I no longer have to worry about and queue lines other then those of EBay, as my money was well spent.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:21 pm

Monster wrote:SIGH.

Do they not have multiple instances? Or do you mean there were 1 hour + waits to get in the servers so they could try out battlegrounds?

The wait for someone who is a lower level is long because there isn't as many lower levels playing. And those that are a lower level are usually busy levelling up. The wait even for the 41-50 Warsong Gulch is a lot longer compared to 51-60 because most people want to do the highest level one or don't want to bother with it until they are at the highest level.

It was like this on DAoC, too. A lot of people took part in the 20-24 BG, but that was because anyone with a level 50 could /level a new character to 20. So people would do that just to play in the level 20-24 BG. But when you reached level 25, the amount of people in the BG's dropped dramatically. There were times when it would be just 5 people in the 25+ BG's. But in the frontiers (the main RvR area), there was usually around 300-400 people playing.
Stix

Postby Monster on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:02 am

Any impressions? I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet, been playing Fable, Halo 2 and Freedom Force.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Stix on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:37 pm

The queueing system could use a ton of work. Because of the huge imbalance between alliance and horde populations, I find, when I try to join up with my alliance characters, the wait can sometimes be very long. It's not bad for my horde character, though.

When I do manage to get in, it's some of the coolest PvP I've ever experienced. The CTF BG is especially fun. It kind of reminds me of Nox's CTF, at times, though it's much more difficult to capture a flag without the help of your teammates. Alterac is pretty cool, as well. There's a ton of things to do that can help your raid. You can rescue your air marshals to start an air raid, you can take over a mine to upgrade your side's NPC's faster (which makes destoying towers, etc. more difficult), you can round up the rams that escaped from your stables to start a cavalry charge, you can turn in armor scraps to provide materials that would upgrade your NPC's and do a lot of numerous tasks on the side. There are even raid bosses that will pop up towards the middle of the map for a quest with good rewards.

That's in addition to the pure fighting you can do, which can be quite fun when you have towers to hide in, etc. The only problem I have is when the fighting is concentrated around graveyards. That can sometimes be annoying. But, overall, it's a cool experience.

There is also a lot of good rewards to get from Alterac as you raise your reputation with the faction that represents your side--for Alliance, that would be the Stormpike Dwarves. You can do various repeatable quests--such as turning in parts of the trolls, orcs, etc. that you kill--to gain faction with them. The rewards look like this.
Stix

Postby Monster on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:12 am

Sounds cool, though it's too bad if I wanted to play in Alterac it would take me a month or more of solid playing before I could even enter.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:55 pm

You can still play CTF in Warsong Gulch. It's broken into level tiers, so pretty much anyone can do it.
Wynn

Postby Stix on Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:21 pm

I'd advise you go in the upper levels of each tier. The tiers are:

21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60

So 25-30, 35-40, 45-60 and 55-60 are best. It's difficult to do anything as a 21 against a 30, etc.

I hope Blizzard will redo the tiers so they are broken up by 5 levels, not 10. 21-25, 26-30, 31-35, etc. would be better.
Stix

Postby Stix on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:08 am

Somewhat of an update. Queuing is still a pain in the ass. I sometimes have to wait 3 or 4 hours to get into Alterac Valley, because Alliance outnumbers Horde by a vast amount on Proudmoore and they've implemented features to keep the numbers about even in each instance. This poses problems for servers that have lopsided populations--while Alliance has to wait a long time, Horde only has to wait an extremely short amount of time (and that's one reason I rolled a shaman on Proudmoore, in addition to my Alliance characters).

I hope Blizzard eventually considers allowing people to choose whether or not to enter an interserver or intraserver battleground. And I also hope they eventually set up a system that could match skill levels, much like WC3 does. I hate fighting Baborc's group in Arathi Basin with a bunch of noobs at my side.

I do want to say that they've improved AV a lot since before I took my break. Battles don't focus around nodes as much as they did before and they've removed some of the distractions, like the PvE raid mobs, as well. It's a rather fun BG.
Stix

Postby Wynn on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:45 pm

They are adding cross-server battlegrounds in the next patch, I think? I have never done BGs myself so I dont pay attention.
Wynn

Postby Stix on Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:43 pm

Not in 1.9. And I doubt in 1.10. If they're considering it, I bet it's months away.
Stix

Postby DarkViruz on Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:06 pm

what ever happened to hero classes that were supposed to be in the game about a year ago?
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Stix on Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:51 am

Before release, they said hero classes were being shelved for future consideration. One CM said they'd be implemented after release, but that conflicted with statements made by certain developers. That CM is no longer with Blizzard. Since then, they've never fully committed to the prospect and it's still something they're possibly considering. With the addition of 10 more levels coming with the expansion, I think there's room to expand on the diversity within a class using talent trees, instead of hero classes. But we'll see what they do down the road.

But not to get off track. Make a new thread and we'll debate WoW's problems and misgivings, aside from BG's, there.
Stix

Return to World of Warcraft