Guild Wars - How to get into the Alpha

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

Guild Wars - How to get into the Alpha

Postby DarkViruz on Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:04 pm

It's a well known fact currently that all the sites updating news, info, content, etc etc on Guild Wars are basically getting free passes in the alpha test not to mention being invited for community days to get check out the Guild Wars headquarters. Anyway, to the point, I talked a bit with Hado about this and we think we should make a fansite. If we got it into the official GW fansites listing on the official site, it would pretty much gaurentee us all a spot into the alpha. I'd be able to post news updates and some monk/necro strats since. Throw up a few wallpapers and screenies. Content here and there. Just wondering if anyone else would be interested in helping out? This game really does hold potential, it was massive fun even in its early Alpha stages.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:11 pm

Sure.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Hado on Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:27 pm

Yea I'm down for this. Doesn't have to be anything big. Maybe a skill listing (even though every site has this right now). A couple quickly made wallpapers. Character builder (got the source somewhere).. and finally original content (some theoretical strats and good strats that were made during E3). I've been in contact with the guy who organizes PfB (the clan that had the highest fame during e3) and they can help out too, if it means getting beta/alpha passes for all of us. Some screenshots showing their 1000+ fame scores .. a guild area for us/forums. News updates

These two sites are pretty crappy and they're still listed on guildwars.com http://www.guild-wars.com/
http://gw.monsterandme.us/
Hado

Postby Hado on Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:17 pm

Ok I've been contacting the pfb guys, a few www.guild-hall.net forum regulars and the dude who made the first character builder and they're all interested in helping out..
What type of content submission would we be using? Will the page be in portal format or regular coding?
Hado

Postby DarkViruz on Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:31 pm

I would think all we need is a regular coded layout, with a newscript inserted into it. I'll write up some rants/articles and if something we can all make up some crazy fan fiction that makes no sense.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Monster on Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:54 pm

Erotic fan fiction?
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Hado on Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:41 am

Necros and furries oh yeaaaaa...
Hado

Postby Hado on Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:58 am

Ok so far we have:

Sintor and the pfb guys (www.pfb-clan.com 6-8 dudes who held hall of heroes during e3 with 1k+ fame per person) doing tips/tactics/strat articles etc. I think some of them might be able to help out with graphics/layout too.

Sausaletus Rex- obsessive poster on guild-hall.. has some coding/web design skills but mainly for constant news updates, skill listing, articles or whatever the hell he feels like talking about. (he talks a damn lot)

Silver bells-coder/database type person who made the original character builder and item database..can pretty much help out with anything technically.

Possibly one other guy from guild-hall (another obsessive poster who's into game design theory, play balancing, powergaming ,etc).

DV and I can do some graphics/photoshopping and articles, skill updates, talk about skill combos, whatever

Monster?? basic layout? doesnt have to be anyhing fancy

Stix?? Wynn? anyone else want to join in?

We need a name for the site and find hosting somewhere (not counting on a lot of hits, we'll make the site just good enough to get on guildwars.com)

GuildWorld?
GuildWarsTactics?
GUILDWHORES.com
noneedforaguildwar.com
Hado

Postby DarkViruz on Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:51 am

Listening to Jeff Strain (one of the lead guy) talk on interview saying stuff like "I don't want you to spend 6 hours chopping wood to gain a skill point in wood chopping only to get griefed by a 13 year old hacker". This leads me to believe he would support a title like GuildWhores.com!

I mean, whore isn't that bad a of a word to support is it? O_o

I guess we could always name it GWTactics.com and then also buy the GuildWhores.com link, that way they can support our site without having to say Whore on the front page? I'm willing to buy one of the URL's if something.
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Hado on Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:39 pm

or

GuileWars
guildkeep
shadowguild
guildwarzone (meh sounds kind of crusty?)
GWStrats
guildsiege
powerguild
????

anyway I saw some nice fanart on http://guildwars.ogaming.com/forum/inde ... howforum=5

maybe I should try to recruit a couple of them too?
or we can post up some of monster's old stuff heh
Hado

Postby DarkViruz on Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:37 pm

If you want to try hiring him go for it, I still can't see a really 'great' name for a GW site yet.

What about something witty like.
www.GuildWars4.us
www.Guild.Ws
www.GuildWarsIsF.at

I got nothing.

www.GWRealm.com
www.GisforGuildWars.com
www.sraWdliuG.com
www.GWZone.com
www.MyGW.com
www.e-GW.com
www.OMG-GW-OMG.com
or

www.GuildWars2.com because there will be another sequal....or since they come in chapters
www.GWStory.com Version Chapter 1. Or something.
www.TheGWStory.com?

I've run out of ideas. GWNovel?
DarkViruz
Number 1 Slapnuts

Postby Hado on Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:10 pm

I'm partial to:
gwtactics.com
guilewars

www.guildwarriors.com?

names that are fine but sound kinda generic:
guildkeep
gwrealm
gwzone

what do you guys think?
Hado

Postby Monster on Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:40 am

I don't like guilewars or guildwhores. Guild Wars Tactics or a variant thereof sounds pretty good.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:03 am

Another option is a generic domain name, and a guidwars site name. For example, guildwars.gametactics.com. That way you can keep making more sites for other games, and you don't need to come up with stupid ass names every time. This would be my preference.
Wynn

Postby Hado on Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:17 pm

So let's pick one
gwtactics.com
guildwars/gw.gametactix.com
guildwars/gw.gametactic.com

Do we want to make more sites in the future?
maybe we could throw up a WoW fansite while we're at it and get beta spots hehe
Hado

Next

Return to General Discussion