360: Transformers

You like the talk? In here, you having the talk.

360: Transformers

Postby Wynn on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:23 am

I went to the video store to see if they had Overlord for rent. They have two copies, but of course they were both out. So I picked up Transformers just because I was bored.

Summary: meh

The Good:
You can play through twice. Once as Autobots and once as Decepticons. The storylines overlap, although the missions are different. Decepticons is way more fun because you can be the helicopter dude and the flying jet dude and the burrowing scorpion dude. All the Autobots are boring ground vehicles.

You can pick up any vehicle, light post, chain link fence, and most trees and use it as a weapon. The heaviest stuff can only be thrown, but a light post or tree can be used as a melee weapon and swung like a bat.

All buildings can be blown up. The windows shatter and the buildings catch on fire. The frame of the building is indestructible though, but it looks like a war torn city if you go around blowing the piss out of everything.

You can climb up the side of buildings, jump around on rooftops, jump down to the streets below. No falling damage.

The optional challenges are fun. It includes different types like collecting all the glowies within a time limit, street racing, knocking 20 drones out of a ring, inflicting damage to all buildings in an area, etc.

The Bad:
No multiplayer.

In order to do the optional challenges, you must first collect 20, 40, 60, or 80 hidden glowies scattered around the level. Most are easy to find, but it's annoying to have to walk around aimlessly trying to find a couple more just to play another part of the game.

So many cut scenes. It breaks up the action way too much. You'll be in the middle of a fight, kill the bad guy, and it'll go to a cut scene of him transforming and driving away. Then you're back in the game and you have to drive after him. Then you get to him and it plays a cut scene of him transforming to a robot and glaring menacingly. Then you're back in the game and can fight. Thankfully you can skip them by pushing a button.

Hard to see what's going on sometimes. Some camera issues, and some "I'm a big ass robot holding a bus over my head blocking my view" issues. Speaking of cameras, it's very shaky and gave me a bit of a headache after playing for a while.

Seemed like a big commercial for the movie. There's an asston of unlockable media content, which is mostly still images from the movie, movie trailers, etc. I don't care about that stuff.

The actual campaigns are a little boring. The difficulty is like a rollercoaster, with some lame easy things late in the game.

Can't choose your character. There's a sandbox mode between each mission on the level, as well as after you complete a level. I could understand being limited to the script for the campaign, but after you complete it, you should be able to pick any transformer to zip around town.
Wynn

Postby Monster on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:22 pm

Sounds pretty cool, kinda like Spider-man or the Hulk game. Unfortunately, the lame ass Blockbusters by my house don't have Overlord yet.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Monster on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:23 pm

Transformers pisses me off. I was playing the Autobots, then got to a point where Ironhide has to fight a Decepticon drone cement truck. He is literally invincible. I fought him for like 10 minutes before the piece of shit 360 froze on me. I just read how to beat him on GameFAQs and it turns out you need to hit him with a dump truck that's laying around, then after he gets knocked to the ground, pick him up and throw him (then do this over and over). Not shoot him with a bomb that can level a city block or a minigun that can tear buildings in half, no... you have to pick him up and throw him. Retarded shit.
Monster
Site Admin

Postby Wynn on Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Haha, yeah you can only damage transformers with your range weapons when they are in vehicle form. The whole game is about throwing shit and melee attacks.

Also, the game froze on me during one of the tougher boss fights as well.
Wynn

Return to General Discussion